Should I tell prospective employers?

I am 12 weeks along with my 2nd pregnancy. I am beginning to look a little bit pregannt. I have been job hunting for MONTHS and have had no luck. I am now applying for waitressing jobs, retail employment, etc. and am wondering if I should tell my employer (assuming I do get hired somewhere) that I am preg, or wait a few months. I will obviously look quite pregnant in a few weeks. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 11:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No, don't tell them. It's not their business if it won't affect your job performance. Telling them is just giving them a reason to pass you over.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 11:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• That's a touch one. Morally and probably legally you should tell them. On the other hand, you know they will pass you up for someone that isn't going to need maternity leave and time off for baby appts (even though it's descrimination if they don't hire you simply b/c you are preggo, they still might pass over you) I really wish I had an answer for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Legally, you don't have to tell them anything.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:17 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I am in the same boat you are, but I am 20 weeks. which means that I am showing a little. depending on what I wear sometimes I am the only one that notices, though. so unless they ask I am not planning on saying anything until I am hired, or if they ask. I want them to see that I am capable of doing my job before they judge me by my pregnancy
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:39 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Don't say anything! benjamink is right, legally you have no obligation to tell them & legally they cannot ask you. i mean, i wouldn't lie if they ask, but asking if you are pregnant is not a part of the interview process. i JUST found a job after looking for 6 months & i didn't say anything during my two interviews with the company, but told them my first day. i would try and do a little research & find a "family-friendly" company. Old Navy (where I got hired) and the rest of the Gap company are very family-friendly! I love it - they are very understanding, they give me shorter shifts, and have assured me that my job will be there when i return from my leave of absence! Good Luck!!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 9:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2009