Does the bible talk about cremation?

are there any religions that don't agree with cremation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Bible does not give any specific teaching about cremation. There are occurrences in the Old Testament of people being burned to death (1 Kings 16:18; 2 Kings 21:6) and of human bones being burned (2 Kings 23:16-20), but these are not examples of cremation. It is interesting to note that in 2 Kings 23:16-20, burning human bones on an altar desecrated the altar. At the same time, the Old Testament law nowhere commands that a deceased human body not be burned, nor does it attach any curse or judgment on someone who is cremated.

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:08 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Cremation was practiced in biblical times, but it was not commonly practiced by the Israelites or by New Testament believers. In the cultures of Bible times, burial in a tomb, cave, or in the ground was the common way to dispose of a human body (Genesis 23:19; 35:4; 2 Chronicles 16:14; Matthew 27:60-66). While burial was the common practice, the Bible nowhere commands burial as the only allowed method of disposing of a body.Is cremation something a Christian can consider? Again, there is no explicit scriptural command against cremation. Some believers object to the practice of cremation on the basis it does not recognize that one day God will resurrect our bodies and re-unite them with our soul/spirit (1 Corinthians 15:35-58; 1 Thessalonians 4:16).
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:09 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• However, the fact that a body has been cremated does not make it any more difficult for God to resurrect that body. The bodies of Christians who died a thousand years ago have, by now, completely turned into dust. This will in no way prevent God from being able to resurrect their bodies. He created them in the first place; He will have no difficulty re-creating them. Cremation does nothing but “expedite” the process of turning a body into dust. God is equally able to raise a person’s remains that have been cremated as He is the remains of a person who was not cremated. The question of burial or cremation is within the realm of Christian freedom. A person or a family considering this issue should pray for wisdom (James 1:5) and follow the conviction that results.
    hinson7169

• Great answer Hinson! : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:51 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I have thought deep and hard on the subject and my husband and I will be cremated.
    There is no where in the Bible that tells us that we have to be taken care of in a certain way and I just cannot think of my body rotting or being closed in an expensive piece of wood. I will not be here and I am truly hoping that when I am risen to be with MY LORD that He is kind and makes me thinner. LOL
    If my husband and I should somehow pass together I hope that my kids will honor our requests.
    My husband will not have a Native American funeral. He will be cremated and his spirit will be with Jesus.
    Rabecca if you are on here tonight; you know our wishes.
    love ya!
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 2:06 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• hinson7169, you rock!! I love reading your answers.
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 3:54 AM on Aug. 22, 2009