how do I increase my milk production?

I have a 5 week old. I'm not feeling milk come in like it used to. Suggestions?

grandjody

Asked by grandjody at 12:08 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your supply has probably regulated. Before a month old, your supply rapidly increases. Once baby passes that mark, it tends to level out until about 6 months (except during growth spurts). After about 6 months (since that's when most people introduce solids), supply may lower a little bit.

You probably may not feel as full as you had previously, and if you're lucky, you may not leak as much, or at all anymore! You may not feel let-down as strongly as before, either.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction-faq.html
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:18 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Congratulations! You are normal! I freaked out when it happened to me, too. But this is good news, as your body has clued in, like milfalicious says. I stopped feeling like I had rocks for boobs around then. My boobs stopped leaking at inopportune times shortly thereafter.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:46 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• No need to increase anything. You're fine. This is just what happens around now. Growth spurts and supply regulation make you feel not as full, your letdown isn't always as obvious, and baby is almost always eating. It's to be expected.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:08 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Yes at first you get really engorged. As the baby nurses, your body will begin to regulate according to baby's appetite. So it seems like you are not making as much but you are fine.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:59 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• BUT plenty of rest, and eating enough calories, and drinking enough fluids will help.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 2:00 AM on Aug. 23, 2009