HELP - COUGH FOLLOWED BY VOMITING

I have researched the heck out of this to no avail. I have a 7 year old step-daughter and as long as I have known her (5 years) she has had periodic, persistant, habitual coughing episodes. Usually lasting 5-10 days at a time. She throws up often from the coughing, almost always in the middle of the night, NO other symptoms, I repeat, NO other symptoms accompany this. Just a dry annoying cough ALL day and ALL night. She has seen Dr.s and we have discovered nothing. I would say that this happens at least 12-15 times throughout the entire year.......
Any ideas or is anoyone else experiencing or familiar with this......HELP, I am tired of cleaning up puke, yes you guessed it, she can't seem to make it to a toilet or a trash can even when it's right next to her.....not to mention that the poor thing coughs non-stop and weighs nothing.
Thanks,
Frustrated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would say asthma. Have them check her out again... maybe they could start her on some medications like singulair at night and albuterol when it gets bad and see if it helps her.
    In the mean time... get rid of possible triggers... make sure her room is dust free, no one smokes in your home, no animals in her room. Put a humidifier in her room and an air purifier. Have her sleep at an incline on the nights she is coughing more. And maybe try a dose of benadryl incase it's allergy induced.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• maybe you should see a specialist, or take her to the hospital.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• i had something like this, it last for about 6 months.. i went to the drs. for a cough which wouldnt go away an i was also throwing up liquid, an i guess "foamy" bubbles? i have no idea how to explain the foamy bubbles so well just say foamy bubbles... but anywho! it turned out that i had swallowed an allergen an it was stuck in the top half of my bronchial tubes( top half of lungs) which caused them to fill with fluid ( the stuff i was throwing up including the bubbles) i was told to stay inside for 2 to 4 weeks an if i had to go outside... to use a face mask.. they also offered an inhaler.. but it wasnt pregnancy friendly. hope this helps!

btw- i was just told it was an "allergen cough" it didnt has a spiffy name or anything :(
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 12:24 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I had whopping couch when I was 14. Does her cough sound kind of like a seal bark? I would cough so hard that I'd throw up, even in my sleep. I still have chronic coughing from time to time.
    Bmanda352

Answer by Bmanda352 at 1:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Sometimes coughing is from allergies. Our sinus drain down into our throat and stomach. Try having her sleep at an 45 degree angle. If it is as simple as this, she should get relief quickly.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 1:31 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• i think you need to see a pulmonary specialist. coughing that hard is never a good sign. I'm thinkingi along hte same lines as tough above with allergies. I guess it could even be an asthma attack.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I just re-read my answer lmao Whopping couch?? I meant whooping cough....wow that's funny.
    Bmanda352

Answer by Bmanda352 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• She could have asthma. My son throws up when he has an asthma attack and it usually happens at night after coughing for a few days before hand. She could have whooping cough. Watch her when she has them, keep track of how she has acted the few days before the attack. Run a vaporizer when she sleeps, and watch how hard she coughs, she can break a rib during an asthma attack. Get her tested for asthma, it is nothing to fool around with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My oldest gets that. Its like a bronchitis from allergens or even running. He now has an inhaler on hand. During an attack, it will help her to give her some black tea to drink or even coffee. Caffine does something to calm it down. If you do not have a steamer, run the shower nearest to her room on really hot to allow some moisture to move around the house. You can even boil some water on the stove and just let it steam. I have even boiled water, dropped a couple drops of tea tree oil into the water, and let him sit with a towel over his head to breath in the steam.
    Make sure no-one smokes around her...if you or anyone smokes make sure they do it outside..and do not do it inside the car with her in it.
    Definetly ask to see a specialist.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 1:50 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• Ask for a referral to a pulmonologist. Coughing leading to vomiting is an asthma symptom. I had a terrible cough all winter long for several years when I was a kid, due to asthma. We suspect asthma in my son and he too coughs until he vomits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Aug. 23, 2009