How is a Christian "supposed" to act?

In other words, what type of personality and characteristics would you expect someone who calls themself a Christian to possess? This is not meant to bash anyone, I was just thinking about it because I had a discussion with my mom today. We were both talking about our conflicts that we have with going to church. We both love the Lord very much and are both spiritual people. However, we've both had some bad experiences in church (with other Christians) that have pushed us away. Now, I realize that Christians are "just people" too and that "a Saint is just a sinner who fell down, and got back up" but sometimes, it seems that it's so much harder to get along with people who consider themselves Christians than it is to get along with anybody else because of the expectations that they hold for everyone else. So back to my original question, what expectations do you have for other Christians and their personality or characteristics?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christians come in all shapes, sizes and attitudes. There isn't a blue print on how a Christian is "supposed" to act. Christians, at different points in their relationship with God act in different ways. You will not find a cookie cutter for all Christians.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• The title should have been "HOW DO YOU EXPECT A CHRISTIAN TO ACT, IN GENERAL?" . That's actually what I wanted to know. -OP

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I don't expect any Christian to act like another Christian. I expect each Christian to act as if they struggle and ask God to help them. I expect every Christian to falter because only Jesus is perfect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness,

23Gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [[a]that can bring a charge].

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• The bible is very specific on how we are to act. They are to walk in the Fruit of the Spirit as described in Galatians 5 and in Love as described in 1 Corinthians 13
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Are you serious, the bible in the bible were not saints or perfect by any means. Only Jesus is perfect. Don't let others stumble you. Focus on your relationship with God and Let Jesus be your guide.

http://www.lifebiblestudy.com/lesson.php?cn=84&vol=all

http://posterchildforgrace.blogspot.com/2006/02/god-uses-imperfect-people.html
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:39 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• James chapter 3 is a passage that has provided me with a lot of healing. The first portion of the passage speaks about taming the tongue and minding what we say. The latter portion of the passage is my favorite (17-18):

"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness."

Christians are not to comprimise truth and they are not to be doormats. However, we are to deliver our wisdom from God as described in James so that our message may edify and be a tool for the Holy Spirit's working, not a hinderance. When I put together ALL of the Biblical descriptions of what a Christian could be, I think of "Integrity." The utmost description of respect and uncomprimising devotion to God while being an effective light to others.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:40 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Sometimes people are hard to get along with. Just remember the Golden Rule, treat others as you would want them to treat you. Sometimes it is hard for another person to continue to be nasty to you if you treat them kindly. And sometimes it is just easier to walk away then get involved in all the drama. My 9 year had trouble w/a couple of kids last year. I told her to say that's not nice, and turn around and walk away. It really did work wonders for her, and there was never any additional confrontation.

As you act like God expects, people do notice. Sometimes I think these people are put there as tests for us to practice our patience. Sometimes Satan puts these people in our paths. Just remember you can only control you and your thoughts. keep up the good work.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 1:17 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I try not to have any expectations of other people because I don't have control over them and it is not up to me to assess their heart. This is admittedly a hard task and one I fail at sometimes because I find myself have unrealistic expectations of others. I have to then pull back and make sure I am comporting myself as I am called to. I feel the characteristics that God wants from his children can be found in the list of the fruit of the spirit that someone else mentioned. If I find myself acting in a way that is against those, then I need to examine myself. That is what everyone should do, I believe, but at the end of the day, the only person we control is ourselves.

Don't let other people keep you from corporate worship though. Forming relationships with other Christians is important for spiritual growth.

cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 1:45 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Answered at 9:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 by:

* Shaneagle777

Shane...
    The bible is very specific on how we are to act. They are to walk in the Fruit of the Spirit as described in Galatians 5 and in Love as described in 1 Corinthians 13

-----
    the bible is also very specific about sin and what we as Christians should condone and what we shouldn't. Love love love blah blah blah, your perception of the love in the bible is not the love you spread on here. You think that being a soft Christian is what the bible says and its not
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Aug. 22, 2009