My newborn is in need of help!

Ok my lil man will be 2 weeks on monday and he recently just started spitting up and having milk shoot through his nose a few times a day i have no clue why hes doing this and i have never experienced this before with my first ds and hes my second what do you think this could be ladies? what could i do to help him? im going to make him an apointment with the doc asap monday morning but until than i could really use advice!!

xaviersmamacita

Asked by xaviersmamacita at 12:27 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he a breast or formula baby? Could be a number of things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• It sounds like reflux, my son had it and needed zantac. You should probably call your Dr. Monday and take him in. Don't worry, he should be fine.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:29 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Oh and I breast fed my son, so it's not a forumla only problem, it can happen with breast babies too.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:31 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• take him to the doctor now if you can. was his birth normal, where there complications? with my sister there were complications in her birth and hers ended up being something she had to be hospitalized for, something to do with the fact that they used forceps and in doing so crushed her throat (but my mom was told this can happen even w/o forceps but normally in a higher risk delivery). and she had to be on an iv to feed for about a week until her throat had healed itself, if it hadn't she would have had to have surgery. not trying to scare you at all, it could be something really simple, but it could be very serious as well. i would at least take him in to an urgent care clinic if it continues, if it only happened once or twice than just wait til mon, but if it continues through tomorrow i'd take him in
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:32 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Actually, it sounds totally normal. If you're at an odd angle when you spit up, it just shoots out their nose. This seriously is not as big an issue as people are making it out to be. Babies spit up - that doesn't equal reflux. I swear, every baby has reflux nowadays. It's just spitup. And sometimes it comes out of their nose.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:44 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I think Im going to just make him a doc apointment on monday becouse hes not doing it constantly but if he starts doing it more frequently before monday im going to take him the hospital but im sure all is well but he did have his cord wrapped round his kneck 3 times but i dont think thats the reason for this but its better safe than sorry ya know? but im def going to make him a doc apointment monday!
    xaviersmamacita

Answer by xaviersmamacita at 12:51 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• If it will let you feel better, go for it. You can't put a price tag on knowing everything's okay. But we've all spit our drink out of our nose when laughing or whatnot. Just be glad it isn't soda. That burns! :)
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 1:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• im dealt with this with my 8 mo old and he still some times have this problem. It is acid reflux. For now try burping him as much as possible and also when feeding make sure he is not completely on his back
    forgivingmom

Answer by forgivingmom at 1:19 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My son has a "floppy esophogus" (I swear, thats what they called it) so he makes this raspy sound all of the time... The dr. said that it makes him more prone to reflux (which my oldest had... he was projectile if you so much as moved him after a feeding)... so when feeding baby, try feeding him on his side instead of his back. And burp him.. a LOT...
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 5:20 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• That depends on how much he is spitting up. Is it just a little or is it almost the entire feeding? If its just a little than it's probably nothing more than spitting up. If it's the majority of the feeding and it's projectile than you need to get in to see your pedi.

Call your pedi, small price to pay for peace of mind.

Good luck. Feel free to email me if you have any further questions.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 22, 2009