How do you make the jump from Full time working mom to stay at home mom?

I really want to stay at home with my 15 month old. Pros and cons are: we want to have another child, if I quit we will not have health insurance, want to buy a house, if I quit we can't afford to. There are material reasons also which I know shouldn't matter nice clothes, family vacations, new cars. What made you decide to just go for it? Does any one have any advice? If you have encourging words that would be nice too.

Jguevara

Asked by Jguevara at 12:31 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• for us, it was the fact that i wasn't full time, i was part time and child care cost was too much (even though she wasn't in a day care i paid a friend to watch her) when i had my son a few months ago we decided i wouldn't go back to working outside the home for awhile, probably until they are in school or i get a full time job that will make it worthwhile. right now, i'm a sahm and plan on starting to do child care at home to make the extra money we need.
    maybe you could cut back to part time for awhile,see how that works for you guys and then go from there. but i'd at least wait until you can afford a house on your SO's salary that way you can still buy a home. and health insurance is a major thing, can he get it through his job?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:35 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I loathe my job. Seriously. And I would LOVE nothing more than to quit. But we have a 20 month old daughter, and while the job doesn't pay that great, it does help us make ends meet. If you quit your job, you won't have health insurance, well then I wouldn't do it just for that reason alone. I understand wanting to spend more time with your kids, but if you want to have yet another child, how would you handle that without health insurance? This economy is waaay too whacked out to make a gamble like that. I would wait to see if things pan out a little better before I made that kind of leap.
    Mrs.Moncrief

Answer by Mrs.Moncrief at 1:19 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Usually you can cut expenses by giving up a job. No dry cleaning, less gas or cutting down to one car. No lunches out. Less dinners out because you have time to cook., no babysitting, etc.

You mentioned you would lose your health insurance if you quit. I would suggest keep working. To buy health insurance is $300/$400 a month, and you never want to be without it. My 4 yr old got cancer. 52 kids a year get it. Can you imagine the odds? I would have had better odds to win the lottery, I know more then 52 people do that each year. Anyway, I could never pay back what insurance has spent. If your family ever needed the coverage, you would regret not having it.

Possibly you can work PT as suggested, or find a like job and work evenings when your little one is asleep. That leaves you all day together, and saves on daycare as well.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 3:36 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Cont. As A SAHM ever since my dau got sick, I will tell you we have done without a lot. I didn't buy cable TV so my kids grew up watching movies. I just now got cell phones (w/a monthly bill) just had a track phone for 2 years..Internet just two years. I would grocery shop 2x a month, and cook for 2 days including cookies, etc. Except for milk if the chips were gone they were gone. The good news is if you want to change your priorties and live simplier your kidswill appreciate it. Out of 4 kids, they are all doing well. No deliquents, no pregnancy, no failures in school. I receive compliments often on their manners and behavior . For us we consider our family our wealth. That way we consider ourselves rich because we don't look at the money.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 3:44 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• From HR Guru Liz Ryan: Taking time off work to be with kids (or for other personal reasons) is a huge decision, as you have already noted, because of the uncertainty associated with 'jumping back in.' There are so many relevant factors (your profession, your location, and the length of time you expect to be out, e.g.) that it's hard to give a blanket assurance that your re-entry will be smooth or easy. If you're committed to the personal benefits associated with jumping off the treadmill for a period of time, that's a huge piece of the equation. "The Feminine Mistake" and other books have noted the financial risks associated with leaving the paid workforce for a long period. I don't mention those risks to be negative, but because they are real; in my work, I see some returning workers sail back into fantastic and highly-compensated roles, and others struggle to return at a reasonable level of pay and responsibility.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• For me the Pros out weighed the Cons. I love being here with my daughter and wouldn't do it differently for all the material things in the world!!
    That said I still do like the nice things and we are wanting to buy a house as well. I have a 1 yr old and I am due in Oct with our 2nd.
    I started a home business with Ameriplan. I made a list of my "WHYs" and those are what I am working hard for. With Ameriplan your income continues to grow a nd grow and I know that in a short time I will make more than I ever could at an outside job and I will be able to do my "WHYs".
    So you just have to look at the big picture :) Good Luck girl and God Bless. Let me know if I can help out at all..

770-728-9938
    FreedomToBeAtHome@live.com
    www.IBOplus.com/ChristinaDennis
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 9:35 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I want to thank all of you for your replies. They gave me alot to think about. Keep on giving great advice girls.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 11:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I had to make "the switch" too when I became pregnant with my son. Now I am a SAHM but I also work from home. I love what I do but unfortunately I did not get this job until my son was almost 2 but I love what I do and the company that I work with. We do not sell, stock, or deliver anything. We offer a free website, free training, unlimited support and a free personal mentor to help you reach your financial goals so it would be like not missing a beat in working. If you are interested you should visit my website and learn more. www.workathomeunited.com/heathers
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 7:00 PM on Aug. 23, 2009