food poisoning? help please!

I went to a Russian restaurant at around 7 tonight, and I haven't really ever had Russian food before...except for once or twice before I got pregnant. Well now almost 6 hours later I am very nauseous and I just vomited quite a bit. I feel slightly better but still a bit nauseous.

It's not likely that it's food poisoning is it? I'm a little worried. I wasn't sure what was in all of the food (I should have asked, I know) but I know I had a small amount of crab salad...could this hurt my baby?

I'm 34 weeks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yep, it sure could be, BUT it will pass, the good news is if your feeling a little better already, your gonna be fine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• * Raw meat such as sushi, seafood, rare or uncooked beef, or poultry because of the risk of contamination with coliform bacteria, toxoplasmosis, and salmonella.
    * Raw eggs, or foods containing raw egg such as Caesar dressing, mayonnaise, homemade ice cream or custard, unpasteurized eggnog, or Hollandaise sauce because raw eggs may be contaminated with salmonella.
    * Soft cheese such as blue cheese, feta, Brie, Camambert, and Latin-American soft white cheeses such as queso blanco and queso fresco because they may harbor harmful bacteria.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• * Fish containing accumulated levels of mercury in their fatty tissues such as shark, swordfish, king mackerel, tilefish. When a pregnant woman consumes large amounts of mercury, her baby may suffer brain damage resulting in developmental delays (for example, delays in learning to walk or talk).
    * Fish containing high levels of an industrial pollutant called polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in their fatty tissues such as bluefish and striped bass, and freshwater fish such as salmon, pike, trout, walleye from contaminated lakes and rivers. According to the March of Dimes, consumption of large amounts of PCBs by pregnant women is linked to decreased attention, memory, and IQ in their babies. Check with your local Health Department to determine which fish in your area are safe to eat.
    Anonymous

• To be safe I would call the Dr. it definitely sounds like food poisoning.....
    Anonymous

• Exercise Caution:

* According to the March of Dimes, deli meats have led to outbreaks of a form of food poisoning called Listeriosis, that is particularly harmful to fetuses. While the risk is low, you may want to thoroughly reheat deli meats to an internal temperature of 165 degrees (including hot dogs) or avoid them altogether.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• * According to the FDA, consumption of artificial sweeteners is safe for the general public. No studies show conclusively that it's harmful to consume artificial sweeteners during pregnancy. However, this is a personal decision, and for your peace of mind--and just to be on the safe side--you might decide to limit your consumption of artificial sweeteners during pregnancy. Instead, substitute fruit juice with sparkling water when you need a light, refreshing drink.
    * According to a 1999 U.S. Health and Human Services press release, raw sprouts have led to some incidents of salmonella outbreaks. They advise that pregnant women eat sprouts that are cooked, or avoid eating them altogether.
    Anonymous

• I got salmonella at 35 weeks during my first pregnancy. I spent a good 24 hours with vomiting and diarrhea. As long as the stools aren't bloody and you stay hydrated you should be fine. DON"T take anything to stop the diarrhea, because if it's food poisoning that can make you sicker. If you are still sick after 48 hours, or you get dehydrated, start running a fever, or notice blood, go see your doctor ASAP. Hope you feel better soon!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 12:46 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• The above mentioned list is what you should avoid while pregnant*************************
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I'd call the health inspector and complain about that restaurant. They need to be inspected again.

You sound like you've been food poisoned for sure.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 12:55 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Okay Anonymous...I think I know what I'm supposed to avoid while pregnant and I am pretty sure I explained that I didn't know what was in the food and that I realized it was dumb and should have asked before eating it. I didn't mean to eat that stuff but I already did so you giving me a list of stuff I already know is offensive to me. I don't need a friggin lecture. I'm just seeing what I should do about what probably already happened, thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Aug. 22, 2009