3 week old baby

I feel like she doesn't love me! She doesn't really make eye contact with me that often, even during breastfeeding. Is this pretty normal? I know she's still so little and so new to the world. When do they start becoming playful, smiling, laughing, stuff like that???

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 12:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• soon. she loves you and the eye contact thing doesn't really get to be totally regular til they are about this time.there is still alot going on around her and it is confusing. the smiles should start coming soon (my son was about 4.5 weeks my daughter about 3 weeks) and the giggles follow right after the smiles (w/both my kids like a week later) same with the gurgling and coo'ing. start smiling and cooing at her, saying silly baby things, and soon you'll notice her start to copy you,then she'll just start randomly smiling at things she finds funny (a sound, a light a toy etc...) just b/c she isn't looking into your eyes doesn't mean she doesn't love you. she knows you are the one who keeps her tummy happy and her warm and safe. the more often you smile and talk to her, the sooner she'll start doing it back.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:54 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• If there is a bright light or loud noise they tend to look toward the noise and the bright light. My baby just turned four weeks today and hardly looks at me either. This is the first one out of my boys that you can't figure out if he's happy or not.
    jenzachsam

Answer by jenzachsam at 12:54 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• She is perfectly normal. However, I wonder, could you be expereincing some post partum depression? Google the symptoms. Congratulations on your baby. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• baby this age just want to eat, sleep and poop. they wont start doing all the smiling and playing around until about 3 or 4 months. at three weeks they can barely see. give it time momma. it's normal.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 1:13 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• As soon as my son turned 8 months I was ready for another one!! They start getting really adoreable smiles and stuff after 2 months or so! Hang in there the bond is not like the movies not automatic for everyone its takes some moms time! I am pregnant with number 2 and am more worried about number one! Hes 20 months now and I can't go a day without him! You'll get there! Congrats on BF as well its not easy sounds like u r doin a good job! You are really goin to love here in a few weeks when lo starts sleepin through the night!
    ALDmama

Answer by ALDmama at 3:01 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• 9 months to 18 months are the best times I think. you get to see them discover eveything. You can experience the wonder of it all through them. When my son was 9 mon old, we were on vacation at dinner. We had cloth napkins, and my son learned to play peek a boo. He would hold the napkin up and when it put it down we said peek a boo and laughed. He responded to our laughes and did it again. i swear we played for 30 minutes and were oblivious to everyone else in the restaurant. It is still such a fond memory. Enjoy her, the time will pass to quickly.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 3:26 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• no need to worry i felt the same way and i still find myself wanting my baby to do more than he is able to ......my son is now almost 3 months old and has been starting to figure out the smile thing for around 2-3 weeks now he his looking at me more and smiles when he sees me and when i talk to him.....just give your baby some time and you will be able to feel the love she has for you, you are the MOST important person to your baby and they love you unconditionally although they are unable to really show you that for a bit =)
    tynawelch862004

Answer by tynawelch862004 at 8:59 AM on Aug. 23, 2009