How do you prepare yourself for early delivery??

My doctor informed me that, due to a handful of different complications, she is suspecting my delivery to take place 5-7weeks from now. This would put me at 34-36weeks gestation. Is there anything I can do to prepare myself for an early delivery?? Anything they would do differently?? Any info would be great...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 12:59 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Not sure, exactly, but if it were me, I would start with:
    Learning about Kangaroo Care for preemies and maybe look into how to care for health complications that can sometimes accompany prematurity. Hopefully all will be well, but it might be nice to read up on NICU stays. And see about getting some help when you're back home. A postpartum doula might be very helpful.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:17 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Okay, so it wasn't "amazingly " early, but my daughter was born at 37 weeks. We had her December 21st, instead of her due date, January 6th. Go figure huh? Anyways, honestly I'm assuming this is probably the same for a lot of moms is, you just have to be real with yourself. If it's gonna happen, then it's gonna happen, and that's all there is to it. Breathe deep, keep telling yourself it's going to be okay, you're just gonna have your newest addition sooner as opposed to later. Pray everything goes well, that your baby receives the care it needs, and is cared for well by the doctors, and take it all one day or even hour at a time.
    Mrs.Moncrief

Answer by Mrs.Moncrief at 1:04 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Thank you both! I have already researched the NICU at the hospital I plan to deliver at, they are spectacular. I would have to have a different doctor deliver me though, because my doctor works out of another hospital that I've heard some not so great things about, especially with high risk pregnancies. Kangaroo Care is not only offered at the hospital of my choice, but it is recommended for all babies, not just preemies (which is another reason I am deciding to deliver there). I just hope all is well with my lil man...he's my main concern right now...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:52 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• ahhh~ good!
    Well good luck to you both! :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:20 AM on Aug. 22, 2009