Is it normal to be sad that its not just going to be you and your child any more? We have a baby on the way.

We tried 14 months for baby #2 so this was definatly wanted but I knew as soon as I got pregnant that I was going to have this feeling about my two year old. Im going to miss it just being him and me, I stay home with him all day long while daddys at work so were extremely close he doesnt even let me out of his sight. My son will be almost 3 and a half when our baby is born so Im hoping that he will understand more then and feel like hes a part of the new baby and not feel neglected. Im kind of glad that it took us 14 months to concieve this child cause I got so spend all this time with my son. But is this normal the way I feel, Im so excited about the new baby so dont get me wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i felt the exact same way. my daughter is 3 and 8 months, my son is 3 months. i felt so weird about how that would work. i always felt like it was my daughter and i against the world (my husband is navy deploys for 6 months every 9 months) so she and i spent ALOT of time just the two of us. but when i had my son, it just turned into the 3 of us instead of the 2 of us. it'll be fine, and the feeling will get stronger the further along you get, but its alot easier to figure things out the second time around and you'll find that you'll question why you even felt that way in the first place.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:18 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I know what you mean. I have my 2 year old twins and I have decided not to have another baby anytime in the near future, if ever. I want it to just be us. I don't want them to get pushed aside, or for us to not be able to go out and do stuff because of "the baby." If I would happen to get pregnant I wouldn't be really upset or anything but I am happy how it is. With them being the center of my world :o) Congrats on your baby!!
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 1:22 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Thank you girls, that made feel better that Im not being mean or anything. Im only 5 weeks so I still have some time with my handsom little man :) Thanks again for the kind words
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I'm feeling the same way. My son will be 3 and a half in January when our little girl is due... and I sometimes cry thinking about what if he feels like someone has "taken his place". But I know after shes here, it wont' seem so bad. congrats on your new baby!
    momma2hunter

Answer by momma2hunter at 2:53 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I feel the same way! My daughter is 2 1/2 and my second is due in the next 3 weeks. I love my first so much and we have an incredible bond. My husband is in the Airforce so he's gone half the time so its always the two of us. I don't want her to feel left out and I have been worrying about it. I talked to my mom about it because she had my sister and brother about the same age apart then my brother and me even closer. She told me to relax and when my 2nd daughter is born to make sure I include my 1st in things. Let her throw the diaper away or get a clean one. When bathing her let my 1st help. Let her pick the outfits. Put lotion on. My mom also told me to get a breast pump and pump so that my oldest can feed the baby. She said it helps them bond and helps me still get that time with both of them. Her telling me that really made me chill out. lol. Good Luck.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 3:07 AM on Aug. 22, 2009