How many military families are on PA?

I'm looking for statistics or hard based information that shows me just how many military families are on PA? I know i've heard a lot about it but now that DH and i are on the verge of having to apply for PA i'd like to know how bad this problem really is. Any links or articles, anything would be helpful. TIA

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:22 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Outstanding, ignore Miss Anon :32. Obviously the doesn't know the answer to your question.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:56 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• None of your business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• How is it not my business if my DH fights for our right to have PA and also continues to pay for it?! WTF?
    nvm the fact that i also said that we are thinking we might have to apply for it. And oh gee. excuse me for trying to explain to my DH that we are not the only ones.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:48 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• We aren't, and we've been lucky that we never have needed it. However, in my 19 yrs of association with the military (first as Active Duty, then as Married, Dual Military, then - and this is where the majority of the time has been - as a Military Spouse), I have worked with a lot of military families over the years.

I can tell you that, sadly, depending on what region you are in and how many kids you have, there are a lot that are receiving some sort of assistance. In my experience, most of the ones that are are Jr Enlisted that haven't been in for very long (usually under 4 yrs, but sometimes over that, if they have what, for the military, is a large family - meaning over 3 kids).

I'll look and see what articles I can find on it for you though. (btw - if you are needing help to cover certain expenses but aren't needing it monthly, maybe try your branch's relief society for a grant.)

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• hubby and I are going to have to apply soon. We have a baby one the way and the way the economy is here in hawaii and the cost of living being so high it's just really hard to make ends meet on E4 pay. a lot of families here are on wic, but mostly that is it. that's all we will apply for, and all we will need to give us the cushion that we need every month to be sure that our family is taken care of. and for any bashers, I have been looking for work and went to college and everything, there are just more people looking than jobs available here.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:13 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• This is from 10 yrs ago, but sadly, it still holds true for a lot of military families. Click HERE for the link.

Here is a blog that if you scroll down to where it says National Disgrace: More US Troops Relying on Food Stamps, you will see an article taken from Military.com, which cites figures on how much is spent using Food Stamps at Military Commissaries - figures taken from the the Defense Commissary Agency.  This was written in 2009. 

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:18 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Btw - the figure they cite is more than $31 MILLION in 2008. The disgrace they talk about is that there is a need by the people who are dying for our country to collect food stamps to feed their families while they do it.

I'm sorry your family is struggling. Hopefully, if you all are needing help, these articles will help your dh with accepting it. But, if he's still having a hard time, maybe before you ask him to apply for help, you could consider going together to talk to a financial counselor - I know that the Fleet and Family Support (or whatever your branch's version is) has them that can help you go over your budget for free, and see what you can do to fix any problems you're having. Maybe, if you go to them, if need be, they can help him see the need for assistance.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:20 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I went on WIC while my husband was active duty. You can also apply for free lunches if the kids are school age. The amount is pretty high as it is based on # of children. If you have your degree, you can sign up to be a substitute teacher. The pay is dismal, but you have flexibility, and all schools are looking for good subs. A couple days a week might just be enough to help your family out. You would still have time to look for permanent work. Good Luck. I think w/grocery prices it is harder for all of us to feed our families, even w/commissary prices.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 2:55 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• We dont live on base so i dont have commissary prices or free childcare. He is stationed in Germany and because of legal reasons dealing with our kids (long story) we cant move there, ...yet. if ever.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:57 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My husband is an E5 with 4 years in. I am a stay at home mom and we have a 21 month old. We have never needed public assistance of any kind including WIC. His pay has been messed up for well over a year, and he even didn't get paid for two months. I had saved entitlements, and took out loans for the rest. We live on post so we save on electric big time, which even though they take all of the BAH, we still do well. We are really tight for money but we make due. I have a BA so if I have to go back to work I can. I am sorry to hear that you are struggling. If you are e-4 or below with more than one child it is almost impossible to make it without some kind of PA. Although dual working families seem to do better.

2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 3:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2009