How do I make my son stop taking his diaper off to play with his penis?

He always takes it off when I look away even for a minute and while I know self exploration is normal for an 11 month old, it's a messy habit and he leaves little messes even if I get him right away. I cloth diaper but I use some disposables once in a while and it doesn't matter what I put over any diaper he undresses his bottom half to get to it. Please help.

RoRoMommy

Asked by RoRoMommy at 1:29 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• dont worry about it. he is simply curious about an area of his body to which he usually has no access.
    he probably thinks he is incredibly clever to have worked out how to remove his diaper :)
    take him to an area which wont be ruined if he pees (like a tiled floor) and let him spend a morning without a diaper, or give more bath time, so he can play longer.
    once he is used to himself, he wont be as curious, and wont be as keen to play with it so constantly.
    ---do you remember when he found say, his nostril? the couple of days he spent with his finger op his nose? its just curiosity, and unless he is given a bit of freedom to explore, he will continue to remove his diaper---
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 1:53 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Try putting them on backwards.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Duct tape around the waist of the diaper?
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 1:47 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• what katiemum said sounds like a good idea. my son just turned one year and he does that but only if he does not have shorts or pants on.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• They learn to take them off, even backwards. My 2 year old takes off his diaper, but he's not anywhere near being ready to potty train. It drives me crazy! My DD did it too, we ended up having to duct tape hers on at night because she would take it off and play in her poop and pee...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Agreeing with katiemum too. Shy of duct tape (which was my smart ass answer) that is about the best thing you can do. By the way, if you freak out and tell him it is nasty, dirty and such you will give him a complex that will take a life time to get over. It is just him being a boy and discovering himself.
    littleredpony

Answer by littleredpony at 12:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• When he takes it off I just put it back on I don't react other than say something to the effect of: "Lets keep our diaper on right now." I truly do not want my son to feel that self exploration is gross or dirty in any way. The touching part never bothered me: the messes did!

Good idea katiemum, I let him play in the kitchen this morning while I was making breakfast and tidying up the kitchen and *so far* he hasn't tried removing his diaper and I just put him down for his afternoon nap. When its lunch time we'll do the same thing. :-)
    RoRoMommy

Answer by RoRoMommy at 2:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2009