Question about Breastfeeding while in bed at night

Ok so im pregnant with my third baby. First time breastfeeding and i have a ton of questions lol. I was reading the La leche league book about nursing saying how we moms do not need no sleep what so ever. Which is BS to me. Every human being needs sleep regardless if you breast feed or not. Im a heavy sleeper, once i get tired my eyes start closing on me and there is no way to wake me up. So is it possible to just nurse while im sleeping?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well you should not nurse while sleeping it can be dangerous. i have breastfed 3 kids but am not a deep sleeper so while I did nurse in bed I am always awake because I can't sleep but I just rest. Only a few times did I actually fall asleep! I woke kinda freaked out and it was when they were brand new and waking so often. I am paranoid about rolling on them. Congrats on the new arrival coming soon and good luck with breast feeding! It is so rewarding! I am currently breast feeding my last baby:(
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:37 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• LMAO, moms sooo need sleep. I'm a big supporter of co-sleeping/family bed/nursing while sleeping, but I don't think it would be a safe situation to do it in if you are such a deep sleeper.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 1:39 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• it said mothers do not need sleep? that is quite shocking!

i BF and i sleep.... i wonder if im doing it wrong then Ha
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My son slept almost through the night since he was 5 days old. He would wake up at 6am to eat and I would just put him next to me in bed and let him go for it. Once he was latched on I would usually fall asleep and he would just let go and fall asleep when he was done. I did it in the hospital and the nurses totally freaked on me because they "frown upon" co-sleeping and having baby in bed w/ you.

I'm a pretty light sleeper and when I get comfy I don't really move. I never smooshed him, but if you sleep heavy and move a lot I would say don't do it.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 1:46 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Yea but still, sorry but i cant just breast feed and force my self to stay awake just to nurse. thats just stupid to me, i am sorry. Sleep matters a whole lot to me. Sleep it was everyone needs. If i dont sleep then its un healthy, i will be tired, have no energy, fall asleep in the day. I have two kids to take care of now and later on when the baby is born in april 2010. My other kids are 3 and 5. And yes the book said nobody has the need to sleep, yea right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• When I nursed I started out awake. But would usually fall asleep. When I woke up, I would just put the baby on the other side. I think when you have the baby next to you, you sleep lighter. I was not concerned about smooshing my kids. However, it has happened so maybe ask your husband to stay awake one night and watch you. Then you can see if your sleep is lighter w/the baby next to you. I also think most smothered babies have been from dads not moms. If you want to breastfeed and need to stay awake, go to a chair in the livingroom. After you are done, then go back to bed. you will fall right back to sleep, and will only have been awake 30-40 min.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 2:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Yes, it's possible. I co-sleep with my LO (well, I put her to bed in her crib, in my room, and when she wakes up, I put her in bed with me.) I lift my shirt up, she latches on, and we both fall right back to sleep. I sleep very lightly when she's next to me, which is not normal for me. I'm usually a pretty heavy sleeper like you, but my conscious knows when my baby is next to me, so I don't fall into that extremely deep sleep.

If you bottle fed (BM, or formula) you would have to force yourself to stay awake to feed your baby the bottle. Sure, you could take turns with dad, but you'd still have to do it on your turn.

And about this book...it says verbatim that sleep is not necessary?
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:42 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Are you asking this question to 'highlight' how awful breastfeeding is?
    I dont believe in a La leche league book is really says mothers dont need sleep.
    Perhaps you could tell us all exactly which book, chapter, page etc so we can read this too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I don't remember that in the book. You probably misread. But yes. One of the best parts of co-sleeping with breastfeeding is that you can rest. You will have to sort of wake up, especially in the beginning to help baby latch and find the breast and switch breasts. But your maternal instincts will make that happen for you and it won't be a big deal. You can fall back to sleep while baby eats. If you have a heavy flow like I did, you can have the baby reclined next you you. I can't remember when, but they eventually are able to help themselves at night. You just have to get through the typically sleep deprived newborn phase. With the handful you're about to have, a sling would bee your best friend =) Let me know if you have anymore questions.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:40 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I co slept with our lo and woke up to latch and switch, then we would both go back to sleep. We worried about squishing at first, but ours was a kicker from the get go, and would kick me if she got hot or uncomfortable. If you're really concerned about it, you could get a side sleeper or an in-bed sleeper. I know they have them at Target, cuz we thought about getting one, then decided it wasn't a big enough deal.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2009