for mothers who combined BFeeding and FFeeding right from the start...

how long did you continue to BF for? did you eventually switch to just one or the other, or continue with both until weaning?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Also, never give a BF baby formula exclusively for days at a time (unless you absolutely have to)..

Formula is easier to drink and has less nutritional value per oz, it is more "filling" as in it takes longer to digest, but it's LESS filling in general due to less nutrition..

If you FF for an entire day or two it can cause stomach stretching and then you can't satisfy them with just BF'ing..

At 4 1/2 months my son was still only eating 2 oz of formula per drink (every 2 hours he ate) Some FF babies will drink up to 8 oz at that age. BF babies have smaller stomachs.

Be careful with this one.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My oldest - I had to give up BF completely (or so I was told -- know better now) after I was put on Vicodin after surgery when he was a month old. I supplemented formula with him from the time he was about a week old until surgery --- so we did both about 3 wks.

My 2nd son developed a preference for the formula at around 5 months... which is about the same time I found out I was pregnant with #3, so that worked out well. My 3rd son... about the same time frame.

My daughter nursed the longest --- exclusively for about 6 mos, the both for about another 4 mos, then formula.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:51 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I had my little girl on Wednesday, Tubes tied Thursday and went home Friday. Was back in the hospital Monday, had to have surgery Tuesday morning and home that afternoon. So I had no choice but to BF and FF. I finally just went to completely FF about 1 month later. Now I'm just glad I did, because I am working anywhere from 5 1/2 - 9 hours(a day), four to six days (a week). But I would have liked to solely BF for four months like I did with my other two (health reasons stopped me from ever BF my oldest)... but it just didn't work out that way.
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 1:55 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• a little TMI but:

baby was a very hard 'sucker' and made me bleed by day 2 BFing so after she eventually took the skin off (after many painful crying days) i would alternate BFing, Pumping and FFing. she was very good about going from bottle to breast and i continued doing that for about 2 months until i went straight to formula. it was exilerating to make the decision to not BF anymore. I had way more free time, and a lot less pain, but i am sad that i couldnt only do BFing part time and for only 2 months. i really wanted to only BF but i gave her what i could when i could and i'm proud enough of that.
    khatcat

Answer by khatcat at 3:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I did it with my middle one from 3 weeks..and we weaned at 5 weeks even though I wanted to continue

He pushed me away, screamed that the breast refused to suck because the bottle was easier and formula kept him full longer so no need to nurse
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My son was in the NICU for a week after he was born and I couldn't pump.. it just wasn't working on me.. I have REALLY small boobs so that might've had something to do with it. The nurses misread the Dr's orders and for 4 of the days I wasn't allowed to breastfeed even though he could've been BF'ing the entire time.. So, he got formula.

I worked extremely hard to wean him off of the formula.. It took til he was 4 1/2 months old before he was off the formula entirely.

He's now EBF at nearly 6 months and I plan to breastfeed him as long as he wants to breastfeed. Recently I gave him solids and he really LOVES them but I always nurse first and he has to feed it to himself. ( He loves chewing on cantalope and avacado!) :)

If you're giving formula and trying to keep BF'ing, only give formula for 1 or 2 of the feedings and always pump your breasts x2 AT feed & inbetween next b/c formula is much more filling.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Err, he didn't eat formula every 2 hours. He ate every 2 hours. lol
    Durr.. baby brains!
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2009