How can I get my 3 year old daughter to stop sucking her fingers?

SydneyHarrison

Asked by SydneyHarrison at 1:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my hubbys gma put hot sauce on his fingers. my mom says garlic
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 1:59 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• chances are you aren't going to get her to stop. She'll do it herself. If there is a blanket she uses or some type of security anything if she "loses" it then chances are the fingers won't be that appealing anymore. That's wha worked for some kids I know.
    kolbiesmommy

Answer by kolbiesmommy at 5:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• YOU DON'T!!! She will stop when she is ready and there is nothing you can do to change that. Why would you want her to stop something that helps comfort her? She will be fine.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• my daughter sucks her thumb and i have heard everyones opinion. even from other docs (not hers.) telling me that she needed to stop sucking her thumb. she is 3 now and when i took her in for her last check up HER doc the Pedi told me to not worry about it. it will stop in its own time and its a comfort thing. he also told me to try not to force the issue because it will make things worse. i.e she will only suck at nite or when tired if force it may become more often.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2009