my son has just turn 8 and wants to wander around outside by himself

there is no way i am letting him out my sight. i am can't have him on lock down for ever. but i am want to be sure he can take care of himeself if a stranger comes up to and tries to take him or his lil brothers. I couldn't stand to lose another child

what are ur views on this?

6lilprinces

Asked by 6lilprinces at 2:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• try letting him go and watch him whilst he is outside without letting him know you are watching him. depending on how good of a view you have out your windows, if you have to sneak out a few seconds after him and hide behind a bush or something if you must and just keep an eye on him. that way he will feel his independence and you will feel he is safe.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:05 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• This depends on many things. Is your yard fenced in, do you live a small community or a large city? There are so many factors to consider. I know my neighbor girl is your sons age, she is allowed to ride her bike on our road and is only allowed to play on our road. However we live in a very small community and there is not much worry for childrens safety. Good luck!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:13 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• i live in the city. we also live on a very busy street. we live directly in front the school. and he likse going to park over there but i can't see the park from my house it on the other side of the school. i forget to add this there is a known sex offenders that live this area too. that what has me most worried. i am a big worry wart
    6lilprinces

Answer by 6lilprinces at 2:34 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My kids have been outside playing all morning. They are 9, 7 1/2 (8 in about 5 weeks), 6 1/2 and 3. I made them come on the porch when I went to take a shower but otherwise they spend all day outside. The older 3 are allowed to be outside alone (without each other) and ride their bikes up and down the street but the 3yo has to have at least 1 of her siblings out there.
    The older 3 have been playing outside without me for a year now. We live in Chicago, in the city. I've lived here for most of 20 years (since I was 12). I haven't let them go to the park yet. It's around the corner from us but that's because I don't trust the kids that hang out there (they get rough and I know my kids would be the ones to get hurt).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:19 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't, not with known sex offenders living near you. I would go out with them, there are too many crazy people in the world.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2009