moms who smoke before and after baby? no answer needed if you DON'T smoke!

So I've smoke for about 5 years now, I quit with my first at about 3 months, then started back when he was 3 months. Now i'm expecting number 2 and i quit at about 6 weeks, and I can't get my mind off of a cig, I want and crave them so bad sometimes. Any of you mommas quit then go back after baby is born. I know its silly to quit for so long then go back. But gosh how I miss smoking! any advice from moms who have been through it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I just waited thinking it's best for my baby. I had to take care of the baby I was working on growing. I even waited for a while (5 months) while breastfeeding, then I had to have a cigarette. I would still do it every once in a while when drinking when I knew it would be a while before I breastfed. Just keep being strong and give in to all your other cravings.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I started smoking again when my daughter was 6 months old and I stopped breastfeeding. I quit for good when my hubby proposed. He said he wouldn't marry me until I quit. I think it's important to have a really good reason to quit, like not wanting to have to sneak away from your little ones to get a smoke. Good luck, I'm glad I quit.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:47 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I don't smoke and never have but have you thought about trying the electric cigs? Still not good while smoking bcz of the nicotin but I thought they were pretty cool for ppl who smoke. Good Luck and I think its awesome that you quit while preg. I'm not gonna bash you for going back to it after. Everyone has their thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I read an interesting article years ago concerning smoking and low birth weight babies. The article stated not conclusive that smoking causes low birth weight. It could be that the type of women who smoke are the type of women who have low birth weight babies. mine were 8 lbs. when I quit smoking I ordered a kit. The problem w/cigs is that the nicotine stays in your body for 1 year. This kit gave me vitamins to take daily and it removed the nicotine from my system in 30 days. Without this in my system my cravings were less. I also had eucalyptus oil to put under my nose whenever I had a craving. This oil helps stop the craving. After 30 days I was good to go for several years. Good Luck on quitting.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 4:05 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I "stopped smoking" about 3 weeks before i found out i was pregnant because i came down with the flu/sterp/mono for a few weeks and didnt even feel like moving! BUT as soon as I found out I was pregnant, i didnt pick up another one, and it has been on my mind like CRAZY! Im 34 weeks now, so I told my hubby he better buy a carton to bring to the hospital-hahaha! He dips, so i told him if hes still dipping, then imma start smoking again! But we'll see! if i do start up again, it will probably only be at work, or if i go out drinking sometime...because even i myself HATE smelling like a cigarette so i can only imagine what baby thinks! They say that smell is the strongest sense for memory and i would hate for him to remember me like that!
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 8:25 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I quit right after I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. And did fine, it helped that cigs made me sick. I had bad morning sickness and cigs made me gag. I started again when we brought her home. I am TTC baby 2 so I have been smoke free for 2 weeks, and I am having huge cravings lately. But I know that if I start again I will have to quit again. I am almost sure I will start again after I have another baby. My SO smokes, and everytime he comes inside from having one my lungs hurt for a hit!
    endurablemist

Answer by endurablemist at 9:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I quit with my first as soon as I found out I was pregnant. When she was a year old "after I was done breast feeding" I started up again. Then when I got pregnant with my second I was unable to quit (even as my mother died of cancer) until 5 days before he was born. He is 18 months old and I haven't started smoking again and don't think I ever will. I do think about smoking everyday, however, I just know how bad it would be if I started again. I have never regretted quitting, I know my kids will appreciate me being a "non smoker" someday. I think if you commit to not smoking ever again you will be fine. If you cannot commit to it, then just take it one day at a time and don't be to hard on yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• i know you said no non-smokers, but a friend of mine quit smoking when she found out she was pregnant, then tried to keep it up after he was born, but started smoking again :( she really didn't want to but is addicted. being pregnant, she had the motivation to fight it but not now that she's not pregnant any more. good luck to you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I quit when I thought I was pregnant turned out I wasn't! But, I still didn't really smoke for a while because my schedule wouldn't allow it. I don't smoke in my home, or in the car, and can't at work considering I am a teacher! So, I kind of snuck on in here and there. I quit smoking on March 27th 2009 and concieved on May 27th 2009. The smell makes me gag now. This is #4... I quit as soon as I found out with #1 and started as soon as I finished breast feeding. With #2 I promised DH when we got a house I would quit and did. Concieved shortly after didn't crave anything for about a year after I finished breast feeding, smoked for a while until I found out about #3! And didn't smoke for a few years after that. This time I plan on staying smoke free for me instead of just my children!
    You have to want too!
    Good Luck!
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 6:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2009