Did you know you were pregnant when you gave birth?

Yes you read that right! I'm an ER Nurse and we have had 4 women come in this month alone complaining of severe cramping and it turns out they were in labor and claim that they had no clue they were pregnant. Four! I was shocked. Like most people I wondered "How could you NOT know you are pregnant" Has anyone actually experienced this or known someone personally who has had this happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I did know, yes... lol Both times.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:27 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• LOL, yes, I definitely knew I was pregnant when I gave birth!

HOWEVER, my SIL didn't know she was pregnant when she gave birth to my niece. 'Tis true. She didn't gain ANY weight, never felt any kicks (she's a tad overweight for her height), and had some sort of spotting/bleeding irregularly throughout the pregnancy, which she deemed as screwy periods.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 5:11 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I went to school with a girl who swore she didn't know. I knew with all three of mine. But with my youngest, the placenta was towards the front of my uterus and I really didn't feel her kicking nearly as much as my other two, so I can almost see how that could contribute to someone not knowing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I knewe all three times. I have a friend (who has 5 kids) saying she didn't know she was pregnant with the last one. I find that hard to believe. I'd think it would be more common in a first time pregnancy.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:39 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• By cousin and best friend had her daughter and didn't know she was pg. She actually had lost weight, had no symptoms, and they way her daughter was sitting in her abd she would kick to the back, she would get sharp pain in her kidneys. She has been hospitalized for kidney problems a few times so she actually made an appt with her nephrologist and the night before her appt went into labor.

I have always been skeptical about women who say they didn't know they were pregnant until then.

Now I'm just jealous that I spent all nine months with horrible morning/afternoon/night sickness and she had NO symptoms.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 9:22 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Oh yeah with all 3 of mine I knew I was pregnant.
    My sil on the other hand claims she did not know she was pregnant. She had been seeing many different doctors and put on many different medications for leg problems and NOT ONE of them checked for pregnancy! Her brother (a Doctor) took 1 look at her that Thanksgiving morning and said "are you pregnant?" She said "NO!". Later that day she went to the ER complaining of horrible back pain, and the nurse says 'are you pregnant?" she says "NO! I have back pain" Well then she is examined and told she is dialated and ready to deliver. She was in shock. So that Thanksgiving night she had alot to be thankful for-- her baby girl was alive and healthy and did not have any problems due to the medications or lack of prenatal care.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:33 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I know it's possible, but I'm guess 4 of them is not a coincidence. It's entirely possible people are watching that new show and want to be on it. It's also possible some girls are just in denial. But to honestly have 4 girls in one month? Really hard to believe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Aug. 22, 2009