how long and target been around. i think walmart came first.. then kmart.. then target.. does anyone else knw?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Actually all three were founded in 1962.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:11 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• 1899 kmart wins!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:12 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• target 2nd, 1902 (has been renamed a lot though... as has kmart) walmart was 1962. god bless wikipedia
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:14 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• "The first Kmart store opened in Garden City, Michigan in March 1962."

That's from Kmart's website:
    http://www.searsholdings.com/about/kmart/atglance.htm
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:15 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• d 1899 as the S. S. Kresge Company (Detroit, Michigan)
    1962 as Kmart
    Headquarters Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• it was originally a dime store (how cute!) and rebranded and made into a big store.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kmart
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:17 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I still maintain it's 1962, as that's what each of the store's websites state, and that's what the question is asking. Those stores were Kmarts or Targets before 1962.

Wikipedia should NEVER be trusted as a citation for anything, because any joe shmoe can add information.

Here's Target's info btw:
    http://sites.target.com/site/en/company/page.jsp?contentId=WCMP04-031807
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• They could been bought by a company and then re-bought and named Kmart. I always thought Kmart was first but I live in California and many stores start out in the east and work thier way to the west. Wal-mart was way new to us in 1994!
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 3:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I know Target has been around for years. I work for them,but not sure how long. However, our HR lady in our store has been with the company for 37 years, so at least that long, I guess. LOL.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 8:59 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Wow, I always thought it was Kmart first, then Walmart, then Target. Or Target and Walmart at about the same time. I know Kmart is older than Walmart, though.

I agree that Wikipedia is never a reliable source of information for anything because it can be changed by anyone who thinks they have their facts straight and they may not, therefore, misleading millions of people who refer to it for information.
    In fact, that site is forbidden by our college, and other colleges, too, as a use of reference material for anything you need to research in your assignments. If you are caught using it, you get a big, fat zero for a grade on that paper.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:45 AM on Aug. 22, 2009