Again, with the spiders!! Do you know what this is?

Again, I go to the bathroom - the scene of the previous "huge spider" incident... and AGAIN - on my blue shag rug (are they attracted to the thing?) there is a freakin HUGE spider. I can't do pics right now, but the image of this thing is seared into my brain. It is (from leg to leg) 2.5 in long, although I think the body itself is only 1-1.25 in long. Its a very nice tan color (like a german shepherd) and has these vertical black strips running the length of it.

Any suggestions? I was going to wash the rug, but I think I'll be putting that off until the scary spider goes away. Gawd how I hate those things!!

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 4:59 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• brrrr.. I suspect it is a wolf spider, but this is only because we had them a few years ago. They were the size of a small mouse. We catch spiders in an old cool whip bowl, slide a piece of cardboard between the bowl and floor and toss them out. But I got so upset when we found 10 in one evening that we started an exterminator service. The spiders had webs outside our doors, it was awful. I was going to google wolf spider to see if it matched your description, but I cringed at the thought of even looking at pictures of them.

Answer by Bmat at 9:03 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• RUN!!!!! After you well spray cause I'm not going near that with a shoe or rolled up newspaper and I can't suggest you do either. Listen to this song and laugh. I find cats are the only real solution to situations like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt8mNt94xJU
    SugarBE

Answer by SugarBE at 5:12 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• We rent. We just moved into this house (not more than 5 mins from our old) in like April or something and I swear this is like Spider's Paradise. I clean. I hate messy so it's not that. They just "appear" I saw 3 or 4 big ones in a matter of two days. There's more plants and stuff around this house, maybe that's why there are so many.

Last night I was digging through my schooling stuff and I noticed this darn spider had taken up residence right in that general area. I shouted pretty loud (sorry MIL I know you were sleeping LOL but UCK! I hate spiders.) and went up to get DH because of the way it was seated there I didn't think I could kill it without losing it. He came down and he's like, oh, that's a black widow. Gee, thanks, that's what I wante to hear.

I bought this special spider killing spray. One of these days I'll get the time to actually use it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I would call my local home improvement store of nursery. They may know (either in the garden section) or the bug killer department, what the thing is and how to get rid of it. Good luck!
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 12:11 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I say a wolf spider to. Just so you know they're very aggressive and will fight back when you try to smoosh them.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2009