For mom's with kids close in age....within 2 yrs

OK...I have a question, I don't want any bashing...but my son and daughter are 17 months apart. Since DD 1st birthday, we have always given 2 gifts to our son...and vice versa. Just curious, anyone else do this?

We don't give the "non-birthday" kid their gift at the party. They know and are okay with the fact that the birthday party isn't for them.

The only thing I'm wondering is this....DS party is tomorrow and he's 5 now. Whats a good age to stop this? They aren't bratty or obnoxious about it either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• my kids are 3 & 4, we've been trying SO hard to phase this out. son will be 5 Oct 30th (daughter turns 3 yrs 5 mos that same day) so am hopeful that she'll be old enough to understand then....! I will always ALWAYS get a balloon or two for the non birthday child though.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:10 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• DO NOT I repeat NOT continue this practice. The party is for the birthday baby. The gift is for them as well. The goodie bag is for everyone else.
    SugarBE

Answer by SugarBE at 5:06 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I agree...we used to have the non birthday child open the gifts after the birthday child. I am thinking that this is going to be the last time. Most of the toys become both of theirs anyways...thanks mama!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on Aug. 22, 2009