Interested in going back to church

Ok so lately I've really wanted to start going to church. The thing is, I'm not exactly sure which church to go to. My family is all lutheran, but I went to a baptist church for years with one of my friends when we were kids. How do I even get started? Do I go to the pastor and speak with him before joining? Me and my daughter are both Christened in the lutheran church, however, my baby has not been Christened yet. My husband's family is catholic but he converted to baptism years ago.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The basic Biblical doctine of Lutherans and Baptists is the same. There are philosophical ideas that they share differences in (i.e. Lutherans believe in "Sacramental Union," Baptists do not. Lutherans have female clergy, as far as I know, Baptists, generally, still do not). Lutheranism is also seen as a bit more ritualistic (I don't mean that in a disrespectul way. My IL's are Lutheran) and reserved in worship than a Baptist church might be. Each individual denomination also takes different public stances on politics and social issues.

My best suggestion to you is to decide what you believe and what's important to you and then use that to ask questions to people of those denominations to find which church best teaches what you have decided through prayer and personal study is right. Try attending both types of churches to determine what worship service feels right to you (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:52 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Hello , What i would do is go visit a few churchs that you have in mind... Then Pray and ask God what would be the best church for you and you just watch everything and see if you like it and if it is a place you want to go ... Im so happy that you want to get back in church that is so great to hear :) God is very happy also... So do what you think is right in your heart and IF you need anyone to talk to please im here for you.. I love you and so does God...
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 7:44 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Find a church that preaches the truth. We go to a non-denominational church where there are no doctrines to get in the way of God's word. So happy you have decided to go back to church.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:55 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You can call a church and ask to set up a meeting with the pastor (that's one of the many jobs of the pastor) to discuss the church's beliefs.

After attending different types of churches and finding what you feel is right, you can inquire about membership. Some churches require that you take a new membership class where they'll discuss the basic doctrine of the church and its history. I believe to join the Baptist church, you must receive a Believer's Baptism, even if you were already Baptised as an infant. Baptists also do not Christen or baptise infants.

I hope that helped :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:56 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I wanted to add that not all doctrines get in the way of God's word. I think many people who establish a doctrine have taken the themes and messages of the Bible as a whole and has decided between themselves and God what God desires of them and should be put into practice. Most Christians have some sort of doctrine, something they hold with great importance to themselves and God, that they follow, whether it has an official name or it's own denominational label or not :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I think that since your husband has a base as being Catholic in the past, (even though he hasn't been going for a while), it would be good to start there. The Catholic Church has RCIA "Rite of Christian Initiation" classes that are for information about the church. It would be good for both of you to go- especially since he might have some conflicts or questions about the past. There is no contract and you don't have to stay, but it will give you some basic information so that you can go from there. The Orthodox churches also have classes for people who are interested.

cnmnancy

Answer by cnmnancy at 11:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2009