What are your reasons for not getting the newly required chicken pox booster?

I found out yesterday from the school nurse that my son will not be allowed to go to school on Monday if he doesn't have his second chicken pox booster. Are any of you against this shot and why? (No I haven't gotten it for him yet, but I found a walk in clinic open today that I might take him too)

ZakTuffMavsMom

Asked by ZakTuffMavsMom at 7:57 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in

• yes I am against it and none of my kids have had the shot. It came out when my oldest kids were born. I went to a group of peds that strongly were against the shot saying it was too new and noone knew how mong it was good for. Meaning do you need boosters the rest of your life. Considering chickenpox is best to get as a child I have opted not to get the shots (the only vaccine my kids do not get)
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:24 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• my sister got it but I also know kids who have actually had chicken pox and I wander what they have to do...do they have to get the booster too/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Here if your kid has had the chicken pox, they do not have to have the shot because they are considered immune once having the disease.
    ZakTuffMavsMom

Answer by ZakTuffMavsMom at 8:44 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I discontinued ALL vaccines a couple of years ago. When they're able to make vaccines w/o all the toxins in them, we'll get vaccinated.

What the school told you was inaccurate, though --- your child won't be allowed until they get the booster OR an expemption form is turned it. I guarantee you there will be kids in school w/o that booster (and probably every other shot).
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• What state are you in? I won't get the chicken pox shots for my kids, and they didn't ask about it here. My kids are mostly vaccinated, but the chicken pox and flu shots are ones I refuse.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My kids won't be getting it, nor will I be justifying my decisions to random strangers online.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• It's a convenience vaccine and children are already given too many vaccines. All the vaccines contain toxins as preservatives. While I can see parents wanted protection from some seriously harmful diseases, you should be careful with how many vaccines you accept due to the toxic components.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Nope. Why should they get a vax for that? It may sound mean, but I want my daughter to get it when she's a child. I mean, most people who get usually dont get it for a second time. My aunt did but she didnt have it bad the first time and she's the only one I've known personally or heard of. Plus, if they get it when they're adults, isn't it shingles? And that can be fatal (i think).

I wont get the chicken pox vax or the flu vax.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My ds got it a couple of weeks ago and has been just fine.
    He'll also get his yearly flu shot and H1N1 shot when it becomes available.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 3:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• We vaccinated on a delayed/selective schedule. We skipped the chickepox vaccine; my daughter had the actual pox when she was 9

Answer by rkoloms at 2:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2009