Do you do this?

the bible says in Luke 6:28Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

Do you do this or is it hard for you?

hinson7169

Asked by hinson7169 at 8:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Initially, it is very hard to do that. My reputation is very important to me (Proverbs 22:1). It bothers me when someone makes an assumption about my character or labels me falsely, especially in a negative way. It bothers me even more when it keeps people who might need help from coming to me for help if they need it. I am straightforward and honest. God has given me a meek and merciful spirit and called me into the career of Social Work (on hiatus right now, I'm a new mom :-) ). and equipted me with the tools to do the job. I've been punched, kicked, spat on, cursed at, threatened and worse, all by the individuals I've sworn to help and I would go back to work every single day because I am able to see past the sickness of a person and how it makes them act and love the person inside.

I do pray for those who misunderstand me, hurt me and speak negatively of me.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:32 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Yes, I do this and yes, sometimes, it's very hard. I remember praying once and asking God to help me make up the difference when I didn't feel that I was 100% able to forgive someone who had done me very wrong. Those were some very bitter-sweet prayers. Knowing that forgiveness is required by God, but not feeling like you can will make you a very humble person.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:30 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I do. In fact, I have someone who I have made my prayer project. I feel it is very important to pray for this person, as God has worked bigger miracles,with less to work with. It is hard, we are all human,after all,and we all want it to be all about us, but it's not. It's all about God! Jesus always blessed those who cursed Him, even asking for forgiveness for those who crucified Him,as He was suffering on the cross. If that isn't love and forgiveness personified, I don't know what is. If,as Christians,we want to be Christ like, we HAVE to do this. We have to put the words aside, forgive the deeds, realize they are motivated by the enemy, who only wants to steal,kill,and destroy,and turn to God, for the strength and wisdom to do that. He will always give us just that, and will guide us through the best way to work it out. Great question,sweetie. Love ya!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 8:33 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• i have; specifically, concerning a co-worker who constantly belittled everyone else in the salon, tried to pick fights with me out of her own insecurities, and simply made going to work a living hell for everyone. it wore me down so much, when i'd pull into the parking lot, see her vehicle, i'd think, ''oh great. she's already here, so i guess today is going to go to the dogs...again.'' years of this! i finally decided to pray about it, about her/for her, and about my attitude towards the very thought of having to deal with this unhappy, bitter person. i'll admit, she got the best of me sometimes, and i fought back. it wasn't until i realized that when i didn't give her any response, and instead acted as if she wasn't there, she was stunned and struggled to find her place. but only after earnestly praying, did i find peace with the situation, learn to deal with her effectively, and begin to enjoy coming to work every day.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Oh boy. Just yesterday I had a supervisor speak disrespectfully to me and I am very angry and hurt, even though I know that the only one this anger hurts is myself. It's as though this question is very timely in my life right now. I think that I should pray for her, but it will be difficult. Yet, when we sin we want forgiveness. Thank you for asking this question and bringing what I must do to my attention. It will be hard, though.

To answer the question, yes I have done this before, pray for someone who hurt me, and it does make a different. It takes a lot of the bad feelings off of my heart, and it also helps me move on and not keep obsessing about the hurt.

Answer by Bmat at 8:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I do. But not because the bible says to do so. I do it because it makes sense to me. I don't need more stress in my life. I already have my share.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I do and I've had to do it much more often since my FIL started his shit.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:12 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• (cont) I pray for them frequently. Bitterness is a poison that you take yourself while waiting for the other person to get sick.

On a side note, mumma, is all that still going on? :-( I'm so sorry.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:34 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I FORGIVE THOSE THAT HAVE HURT ME, I DON'T HOLD GRUDGES BECAUSE IT TENDS TO WEIGH ON ME AND MY GOOD NATURE, I DON'T LIKE THE FEELING I GET WHEN HURT, THE RAGE I SOMETIMES FEEL WEIGHS MY HEART DOWN AND I DON'T LIKE IT, SO I FORGIVE AND SOMETIMES PRAY FOR THE PERSON OR PERSONS. I FIND THIS EASIER TO DO THAN TO HOLD THOSE ILL FEELINGS WITHIN ME.

Answer by older at 11:56 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Yes I do this sometimes, but it is hard sometimes too. A daily struggle within myself....
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2009