When do you clean and do laundry? Do you have a specific days for each?

I have two boys in school full time and one in a Mother's Day Out. I will be working my when my youngest is in MDO. It seems I always have something to clean or wash around here. I need a system. I am not going to lie, I can be all over the place when I clean. So I am looking for ideas on how to get my housework done more efficiently. Thoughts? Ideas?

eluc

Asked by eluc at 9:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• i clean a little everyday dishes etc (except saturday thats my day off I only do what I must)
    My heavy cleaning is done after church on Sundays. I start in one room until its done then move to the next. My kids are responsible to do some cleaning as well. i have a 11yr, 6yr, 2yr, & a almost three month old. Everyone does something (except the newborn.) i also work part-time. My hubby helps when he can to.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I always do laundy and cleaning (deep) on the same day. I start by collecting all laundry, from the kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms. Then it gets sorted and started. Then I clean up anything on the floors and then start dusting. I work from one end of the house to the other. Usually the living room. Our boys have to take care of their own rooms so all I do in them is vaccum and dust. So then I do all of the floors and then finish in the kitchen, the backsplash wiped down, under the cabinets, the fronts and then the floor gets scrubbed. I do this every Sunday, and then light cleanup through the week. Our boys have a chore list so that helps keep things in control.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:18 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I do a little everyday so it doesnt ever really seem that Im having to do a major cleaning.. Last night for instance.. After ds went to bed, I started at 9:15 cleaning our hardwood floors downstairs and polishing all the kitchen cabinets. Finished up at 2:20am. Gave them several hours to dry while everyone wasnt walking around on them and such.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 3:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Main laundry and clothes - Monday
    On Saturdays I do SS's clothes and any "extras" such as sheets, blankets,etc.

For cleaning, Monday is my main day, but have adjusted that a bit since I'm homeschooling now. I try to get stuff done on Saturday and Sunday so that the stuff I have left on Monday is minimal so we can go through the activities of the week without worrying about too much more than a brief clean up and making dinners.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I try to do a little every day but it seems by the time the weekend comes everything is a disaster so i've gotten to where I will sit down and write out a list of everything that I need to get done starting with the most important first (Washing dishes usually is first) then I move on down the list throwing in a load of laundry or whatever in between doing other things around the house. I also try to complete one room before moving to another otherwise there are half a dozen things not done and I spend half my time back tracking to other rooms. I tried making up a schedule of doing certain things on certain days but it never worked out for me and just caused more frustration than it was worth.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:30 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I know many people who swear by FlyLady.net. Maybe you could try implementing her system and see if it works for you,too?

When I was working full-time & going to school full-time, I would do my laundry each morning & right before bed. Basically, one load in at bedtime, get it out in the AM & pop it in the dryer or hang it to dry, then put another load in before I left for the day. Then take out the morning load at night and do it all over again....It didn't hurt the clothes to sit for a few hours & I was always able to keep up with the wash.

I would do a little cleaning each day, keeping up with the messes, & schedule big cleans (like moving furniture) for one day off each month. I also was very conscientious of keeping up with the little stuff, like mail, everyday, no matter how tired I was, b/c I knew that if I didn't, it would be twice as much to do the next day. It was tough, but I got thru it & still do it this way
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2009