Do you think it's a good idea to keep on breastfeeding when my baby turns 1?

please dont be rude, i just don't know if i should or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Most other countries actually recommend nursing until 2! I think it's a great idea, personally, and one that works well for my family. There's no reason to wean at 1, and honestly, with the picky eating of a one year old, it's god to know they're geting all the nutrition they need. Also, if you're happy and our son is happy, then why not?

I know people can say "you can pump and put it in a cup" Whatever. He's ONE. Nursing a one year old doesn't mean he's going to nurse until he's five, or hire strippers, or have some weird attachment problem. Many children self wean between one and two, so I say give it a shot. You can change your mind later, no biggie. But if you wean, you can't go back.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:17 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Why not? the WHO advices to breastfeed for at least 2 years!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:17 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• it's your choice, but if your'e comfortable with it, then yes. I breastfed till 3. (of coarse by 2 1/2 it was only a nightly 5-10 session). The american academy of pediatrics has in recent years changed there recommendations of breastfeeding to up to 2 years of age. The breastfeeding "community" (LaLeacheLeague, lactation nurses, and breastfeeding educators) recommend until age 3. Even though your babies primary source of nutrition is through solid foods after one or two, when you are exposed to illness, your body makes anitbodies about 8-12 hours after exposure, you then pass these antibodies onto your child, so your child is getting an extra health benefit. If you want more information, you're welcome to contact me. The choice is yours, good luck and feel good about your choices:)
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• FYI, when my baby was about two, he got a very bad flu virus that was going around his daycare. Many kids were put in the hospital for dehydration. My ped. said if i couldn't continue to breastfeed that my son was going to have to go to the hospital also, b/c he couldn't keep anything down, except breastmilk. I took off work, literally nursed him back to health (it took about three weeks), and when the flu started going around the childcare again, had enough, and quite working to stay home.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• my little girl turned one in june and im still breastfeeding,i kept saying i was gonna be done at one,but im trying to let her self wean.she only eats when she goes to sleep mabe about 3 times a day.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:40 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I say go ahead! I nursed both my girls until they self weaned. My oldest weaned at 11 months....I got pregnant with #2 around that time and she didnt like the new taste of the milk. My younger daughter stopped around 14 months for the same reason. This next baby I hope to nurse as long as they like. Its way better for baby!
    Princefan6684

Answer by Princefan6684 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I personally would not have gone past a year.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Emi and I are going to nurse past a year. I can't imagine NOT nursing past a year!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Yes!! My daughter self-weaned at 23 months (and I worked full time).

The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 PM on Aug. 24, 2009