Do you have friend-friends?

I have friends - who I still call my friends, and I still chat with on Facebook or texts - but I never see my friends anymore or go out with them or even meet up for coffee anymore now that I'm a mom.

Is anyone else the same?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am blessed with friends that I do get together with, even when the children were little. If you still enjoy your friends, and if you haven't yet done this, maybe you could take the initiative and invite them over, even late so that they get to say hello to your little one who then goes to bed and you and your friends can talk and have a meal and so forth- it doesn't even have to be a big meal, even just dessert. If you don't enjoy your friends anymore, go places where you might meet new friends, mom and me classes at the Y, classes at the college, playground, library, walking the child around the neighborhood. When you've talked with the potential friend several times, suggest that you get together for a fast food lunch or some coffee and see if you enjoy their company. Don't go too fast. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 9:18 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I don't know your age, but if you are the only mom in your group of friends, then yes it will be hard. You need to go to local parks, library story time, meetup.com to join a playgroup or a mommy & me workout group. Something to start making other mom friends. These are more needed now. You will have suport on baby topics, common chats, work around nap times, and let the babies play on the floor while you get your coffee break. It's hard to branch out, I know, but it will be sooooo worth it. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Then make it happen! Go out for a "moms-night-out" or invite one of your friends for coffee. How about having a "kids-went-back-to-school" celebration with your mommy friends on the first day?
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 9:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• This is me too. When my son was a younger my friends would come over a lot, I guess it's just not so fun anymore. I think they get tired of always having to hang out at my house. I had one who made a point of coming up every week! I miss her a lot now... she also just started a new relationship that is going really well so that takes up a lot of her time too. Sometimes I guess you have to take a step out and think of what is happening in their lives too.

I also made a new friend recently and she is also a mom. I get to see a lot of her and I am so thankful for it! None of my old friends have kids yet and only one is even married (we're all 29 so we're not too young for it). It's weird since they're in a totally different world from me. We still get together occasionally though.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:34 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• my maid of honor once I got married and had my son we have lost touch. We talk every now and then but she isn't married and I don't think she wants to get married. we don't have much in common. I have friends come and go.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 22, 2009