how due i reduce the urge to throw up when brushing my teeth

daynelle

Asked by daynelle at 10:24 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I hold my breath until I'm done cause i cant stand it either LOL..

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Let me know if you find out. I hate that feeling. It always seems to be worse in the morning for me tho. So I brush softly and just the tip of my tongue then brush really good after I eat.
    Maya09

Answer by Maya09 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Try to keep your head tilted down over the sink to keep the toothpaste from going too far down your tongue. Not a lot of water on the brush, keep the paste on the teeth. Sip up some water when you are done, with your head still tilted down over the sink. rinse and spit. If you want to brush your tongue, don't add extra paste to the brush, just brush with whatever toothpaste is still in your mouth and on the brush.

Answer by Bmat at 10:48 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• ugh, i freakin' hated that so much in the beginning of this pregnancy. and i definitely did end up puking quite a few times while brushing my teeth...counter-productive-much? haha. i just would brush really slowly and take some deep breaths and splash water on my face to avoid any disaster. and maybe eating some sort of carb a little while beforehand will help.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 11:23 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• This is odd but I learned I could brush my teeth NO PROBLEMS if I brushed while taking a shower! lol....
    maybe its because I let the water in my mouth while brushing so it wasnt getting that foamy thick feeling & because of all the water around me my body has something else to focus on (shower water) instead of the stick stuck down my throat..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• cinnamon toothpaste helped me emensely
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 11:53 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• OMG, I have been like that since I had my son who is now 16. I would love to find that cure (LOL)
    ayers65

Answer by ayers65 at 1:35 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You can not brush your teeth with toothpaste -- a lot of toothpastes are VERY strong and irritate the throat and nasal passages. Plain water will work FINE. You can even do 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and water and just dip your brush in it once and brush away. If you must use toothpaste (try to find something that isn't strong or fancy) you don't need to load up your brush with a huge glob...use no more than a small pea size amount and even less is good.

Buy a brush with a small non-fancy head (you can even get a child's toothbrush) with the softest bristles you can get. Don't brush hard! Polish at an angle at the gumline with no more pressure than you can apply by holding your toothbrush with your thumb and ring finger, this will keep you from doing the sawing motion which can induce the gag reflex.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I'm right there with you, during my entire first pregancy and now through this pregancy I get nauseous EVERY TIME I brush my teeth (even with out tooth past) ((HUGS))
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 9:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• I agree about the different flavored toothpaste. That was what I had to use and I threw up for 23 weeks.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 5:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2009