What attracts you to paganism?

What in paganism do you find attractive and/or why are you pagan? You know how some Christians have a "conversion story" about how their life is different (for the better) now? Do some pagans have that, too? Forgive me for my ignorance.

And has anyone ever watched A Haunting on The Dicovery Channel? What do you think about it?

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 10:42 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have always had pagan-ish beliefs even as a child. I felt very connected with nature. I did believe in a duality even though my mother pretty much threw a bible at me and commanded I read it. I was forced to attend church by my grandmother. Never did I feel right in a church. I wanted to be outdoors laying in the grass and feeling like I was being held by the great mother. To feel the suns rays like the shining love of a father. That is how I felt. It wasn't until later that another pagan came into my life and I was taught about Wicca. Then it was a feeling of finally coming home.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:51 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I had searched long and hard for a religion that fit me, something that I believed and could fulfill the longing in my soul. I found paganism. I started practicing, and learning. The day I dedicated myself to the goddess, I felt like when you're a child and your mother gives you a hug and everything is better and I just knew that She was there. It's really hard to explain...

(I like A Haunting!)
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:50 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• A love an respect for nature. I like that it's an equal partnership and there is not one all powerul in control diety. There's a god and a goddess. Ok I will be honest I don't know a whole lot about Paganism, but they seem like a very peaceful religion. I simply choose no religion because they all have good points and bad points. I try to follow the good points in all of them, but don't claim any religion.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:55 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• It just felt right, it answered questions Id socked away in expectation that God would answer them someday(and he/she did).
    I have a complete peace and joy that I didnt before.

No real conversion story, just came to a point in my life where I came out of my pretty box and looked around and realized there was more to life then what I was taught and that there was more than one way to find the Divine and all of that.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:08 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Wow! In the time it took me to wash dishes I already have 4 answers! Cool and thank you!

Sometimes I see wierd news articles like this: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/135974.php which talks about how traces of hormones from contraceptives are found polluting water causing non-human reproductive problems by causing male fish to change sex, and even effecting human male fertility. But no one but me seems to care. So hormonal contraceptives not only are bad for women (stoke/blood clots/cancer/high blood pressure) but it's bad for the environment and polluting water.

Do some pagans believe hormones are bad for the environment, like me?

I also believe in recycling, and when my kids (& the ones I babysit) walk to the park w/ me, we bring garbage bags to pick up litter, and I teach them how important it is to keep the Earth clean. Are pagans big recyclers like me?
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 11:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Honestly, not a big recycler. I dont have a beach to go visit and clean up and Im not walking along roads to do it LOL.
    If I happen to be walking and see something and a trash can is nearby then ya I might pick it up and toss it(like if Im at parks and such with my kids) or have my kids do it(well my oldest cuz he's 5 and could hit the trash can LOL).

Im not big on hormonal b/c but thats because I could never take it, gave me hives bad. I know it can be awfully bad for some women and cause issues but its something I dont concern myself with other than for myself. To each their own...thats pretty much my overall policy on many things. I know how I feel about stuff but I cant make anyone do something they dont wanna and I wont force my opinion on others. I dont have to live in their shoes nor they in mine.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Oh, and the reason I asked about A Haunting is because a handful of times the house is haunted because a person who lives or lived there practiced a Pagan religion (usually Wicca and once I saw a man practicing witchcraft of some sort).

Anyway, does that make you wary? Or maybe it could be fiction? Or the people aren't practicing the correct way?
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 11:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• What in paganism do you find attractive and/or why are you pagan? Many things, the connection to the natural world, the beauty of the practice, the freedom from dogma, to name a few.
    You know how some Christians have a "conversion story" about how their life is different (for the better) now? Do some pagans have that, too? I have heard many conversion stories & many stories from Pagans who feel they have vastly improved their lives by following a Pagan path.
    And has anyone ever watched A Haunting on The Dicovery Channel? What do you think about it? I have seen it & while I like some of the shows I resent the way they portray Neopaganism & hate the stupid assumption that all things occult are dangerous & bring evil upon you.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:29 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Answered at 11:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 by: flatlanderjenn

It does not make me wary, I think it is a nonsensical misunderstanding of Neopaganism in general & Wicca in particular. I don't think it is fiction, just that people assume that witchcraft is bad so it they find a connection that is not there. I also don't believe that the people are practicing in the wrong way, I don't believe there is a wrong way. Bad spirits happen to all kinds of people & they are not responsible for it any more than people who are attacked by bad people are responsible for that.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:33 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I was taught Christianity, but I "knew" Paganism from within. I never believed, even as a child, the things I was being taught. Paganism was just natural for me. I started really openly rebelling against Christianity in first grade, I read a book in the school library that talked about what real witches are and how they live, feel and believe. It hit the nail right on the head! Since then, I have been a proud self proclaimed witch. It wasn't until I was out of my mother's home that I was able to become a practicing Pagan. But at heart, I always was!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2009