for those who have had their tubes tied....

how old were you when you got yours done? do you regret it? are you happy with it? i am considering it. i am 27 and a mother of one. please no bashing i have thought it through for the last 5 years. need advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Health

• 29
    yes
    no

I've had 4 kids, 3 Csections, & a uterine rupture. I definitely don't need to be pregnant again... so, we figured just get it done during my last Section --- I'd be opened up already anyways. Only problem was --- nobody told me about Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome.

I wish now we'd gone the vasectomy route --- or at least someone would've told me about PTLS prior so I'd know what I was in for.

Before going through with it --- do a little research. Some people have 0 complications following a tubal ligation.... some have complications for life.

G'luck
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:15 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Their are so many other things you can do. Educate yourself.
    sunie101

Answer by sunie101 at 11:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I was 28 and had it done immediately following my a cesarean section. I regretted it for about a year (likely due to postpartum depression). I am really glad I had it done now (almost 7 years later).
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 11:18 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I had mine done on my 36th birthday when I had my 3rd son by c-section. My hubs and I had talked about a permanant solution as we felt our family was complete and did not want to worry about any 'surprises'. We both decided that since I would be having a c-section they might as well do the tubal at the same time. I talked to my doctor, found out the pros, cons, risks first and then decided that I did still want it done. I have not had any problems. I had it done 3 yrs ago, and I do not regret it. I still feel that it was the right decision for me and my family.
    I do have a friend that had a tubal done, and she did have alot of side effects and complications and now regrets having it done. I do agree with the previous poster to ask questions, do research and be informed of the procedure- the pros/cons/risks and once you know think about it and then make your decision.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:27 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I got mine done when I was 25. it took me a year to convince my doctor at the time to do it. He said I was to young, That I was single and I only had 2 DD's. He asked me about my future DH. As in I might change my mind later and want a child. He finallydid it, but I had to sign a paper saying if I got pregnant after. I would not sue him.  I do not regret it. I wanted a boy, never got one. So after 2 girls I was threw. There was not 100% guarantee the third would be a boy so I stopped at 2 girls.

If you are sure this is what you want, do it.

Answer by louise2 at 11:30 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I am 21. I just had something like a tubal ligation done. There is no cutting and really no downtime (I was out of it yesterday and that was it). It's called Essure. I decided last year I wanted to do this. I stopped after 2 boys. I am very happy with it since there is no way it can self reverse itself and I will get confirmation in 3 months that it worked. I highly suggest it over a tubal ligation because this can be done in office.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:36 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I was 30. We had 3 kids by c-section and my uterus had thinned out too much to carry another baby to full term. They did it during the c-section, and not until recently have I regretted it. At 36, now, I find myself so wanting to have another baby.. I know I can't and not to mention I just had a total hysterectomy 5 weeks ago....but, don't rush into this decision. You may differently about having one done in a few years --Don't make a decision that's going to be "permanent" until you are 100 percent sure that that is what you want. You're so young...things always look different when we hit our 30's.
    Good Luck
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 22, 2009