Car registration plate numbers

Does anyone know how DMV allocates vehicle registration number? I see all sorts of combinations like 4DKHxxx or 6HDNxxx or 4YKKxxx, etc. Just curious!

wanita61

Asked by wanita61 at 11:30 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• if you ever go to the DMV and get regular plates (not personalized ones) they have a stack of them that are pre-printed, in order. that's why you might see a lot of cars that all start with the same few letters/numbers in one area.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Ask a prisoner. They make them. Maybe they know how they are ordered.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I was thinking along the lines of jesse - perhaps the prisoners or workers who print them have to use their initials or employee id number or assigned number for that day to begin with and print them in progressive order throughout the day until they run out.
    It is an interesting question, though...I'm sure there has to be a sensible answer someplace.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2009