Social vs. Private Masks: Is it Wrong to Act Differently in Public?

Austin Cline asked this question on About.com, I thought it was interesting. What is your opinion?
"Everyone acts differently around different people: they behave one way with their spouse, another with strangers, another with parents, and still another with employers. Is this appropriate? Some have argued that such 'social masks' are a form of dishonesty, a way to conceal our true selves from others."
Is it wrong to act differently in public? Is it dishonest?

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Mr. Cline's veiws are available here http://atheism.about.com/b/2006/04/06/social-vs-private-masks-is-it-wrong-to-act-differently-in-public.htm

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Is it wrong to act differently? Yes, I would say that deception is wrong.

Is it wrong to act appropriately? No, and IMHO, there is a difference.

I am the same person with the same opinions, believes, passions, strengths and weaknesses no matter where I go and who I am with. I may alter how I express those things according to my company out of respect for them. I love walking around in my pajamas at home, theatrically singing Aretha at the top of my lungs (it's quite a sight!) to entertain my 9 month old. If I choose not to do that in public, with my employer or at church does that mean I've changed who I am? I don't think so.

Adjusting the volume doesn't mean you've changed what's playing :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:46 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Some people are overly judgmental and we must behave accordingly to protect ourselves. Also some would rather not rock the boat. Some people have the live and let live approach and we can let our hair down. Sometimes we just wear a mask to make the other person happy. As we begin to trust people we can take it off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• should be beliefs* lol oops.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:47 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I THINK IT IS WRONG TO ACT DIFFERENTLY WITH DIFFERENT PEOPLE, TO ME THAT IS BEING DISHONEST MAINLY WITH YOURSELF. BUT SOMETIMES PEOPLE ADJUST THEMSELVES TO CERTAIN SITUATIONS TOO. I AM ME NO MATTER WHERE OR WHO I AM WITH.

Answer by older at 11:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Absolutely no one knows the real me except for me. I like being mysterious...

In a way, it's a part of my need to be in control of situations. I can manipulate the situation and the person's actions if I can read people and act accordingly.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:55 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I don't act differently. I see no point in it. If you don't like me, you don't like me. I see no reason to hide who I am in the hopes that someone would like me more if I act a certain way. I am the same at home as I am at the mall or out to dinner or at a family reunion... No point in changing! Because inside I am the same, Masks and lies just cause issues later!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I suppose I think that it depends on your motive for acting different. Sometimes we act a certain way in order to manipulate people, which I believe to be immoral, though I have done it before. However, as mentioned above acting appropriately to the situation, while a kind of mask, isn't dishonest, in my opinion, it is just the way our society works. It may not be ideal, but it does make life easier. Like IhartU, I sometimes conceal myself in order to hide, maybe partly from a need to be in control, but I consider it more a defense. Revealing too much of your true self gives people weapons to hurt you with. I suppose, that is dishonest, but I don't find it immoral. Perhaps our responses beg the question, is it always immoral to be dishonest?
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I have to admit, I wear social masks.
    My fellow employees wouldn't appreciate my antics I pull at home. :}
    Also I watch my language around my elders..

I think it can be a good thing as well ?
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 12:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• When I worked, I HATED having to watch whay I said and trying to act "professional" & "proper". Drove me absolutely insane! Loved the work -- hated the interaction with 90% of the ppl. Even when 1/2 those people were just like me, we still couldn't interact w/ each other like normal people.

Now - I don't have to play the game anymore. I stay home with my kids. The only time I wear my "mask" is when I meet new ppl whom I'm hoping to establish a relationship with. Being just who I am - I'm a very laidback, go with the flow, sarcastic person. Being a homeschooler, a LOT of the people I interact with are FAR more conservative than I.... and I want my kids to be able to participate in things.... so I will 'wear my mask' until I get to know their personalities a little better. (plus, I don't want to offend anyone)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:32 PM on Aug. 22, 2009