has anyone ever worked at walmart?

Hello, I am looking into working at Walmart, We are a Navy family, and sadly, my husbands paycheck wont cover all of our bills and important things my 2 young children need.. the ONLY sense of freedom that we pay for, is CABLE. which is really sad. and if I dont get a job to help out a lil bit, we;ll end up going into debt. =/ we just dont have enough to cover groceries, gas, diapers, and car insurance.
I was wondering if anyone liked the company, and if you worked in the day time, how much were you paid, ( i know it varies w/ state) and if you worked during the over night, how much was that per hour? i dont want to be forced to go to mcdonalds here in connecticut and my WHIOLE pay check goes to day care. no point in that.
and we dont apply for food stamps with a family of 4...=/ which sucks, cause our paycheck is only 400 every 2wks.

ANY INFO, on walmart, any job, any work at home, ANYTHING would be really appreciated

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• With a family of 4 you can receive state assistance until Hubby reaches E4 or E5. I forgot. That was something my parents looked into being a Navy family as well. See if you qualify for WIC and see what programs the base has as well. I'm assuming since income is so limited he is rather new in the Navy, it is not uncommon and they should have resources for you. As a military wife you also have privileges such as you will get a job on base (PX, Exchange, any other facility) before a civilian will. they do have a resource for you to get help with job searching as well. See if hubby can try to find the info for you and get you started that way. CDC will also provide a much more reasonable daycare for your kids. Hubby can drop them off on the way into work and bring them home, and it is a lot cheaper than a private day care. If there are any issues your husband will be able to resolve them quickly as well.
    Alaina623

Answer by Alaina623 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I've never worked for Walmart. I've heard they're a good company. Have you ever thought about working from home? I am a SAHM mom to my 2 year old son and 5 month old. I recently started working from home and I’m very happy doing what I do!!! I work with a great team of Moms. We help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS.
    I’d love to tell you more about our wonderful team and introduce you to the business if you're interested! Best Wishes!
    Erika

Visit me at:
    www.4MyFamilyandMe.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 12:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I worked at walmart for 3 years about 6 years ago. I worked in the Photo Lab and in Electronics during the day. I think I made about $7.75. I really liked how we got bonus checks in March (after you have been at walmart 6 months you would not get one until March 2011) It was an ok job.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I did , and quit! They hired a van full of the 'slow' people who come in from those schools, and split everyones hours so they can get hours ... and we did most of their work! My friend recently quit because she had to come in from her vacay time because the one woman couldnt use the 'key' that unlocks the camera cards! ... i hate that place lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• my mom worked for Walmart when she passed away. She said the pay stunk (use to work for IBM and Lockheed Martin so I'm sure it did. lol. However upon her passing my dad received a full years salary, and all her bonus checks she qualified for in that year. So I was rather impressed.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Walmart is actually a nice place to work for, as far as corporate goes. I worked there for about 6 months or so while I was pregnant. Here in KY, our Walmarts started off at $7.30 (min wage has gone up since then, so it may be more now). And I think 3rd shift gets a small premium. There are lots of perks, also. At our walmart, after 6 months, you get a bonus check every quarter if you had good attendance. Also, if your store meets their goals, everyone gets Christmas bonuses. My sister has been working there almost 3 yrs now, and she accrues a week of vacation time every 6 months. But I don't think you get vaca until you've been there a year. Also, you get an extra $1 an hour for working on Sundays, and holidays you get paid extra too (it's either extra $1 or time-&-a-half per hour, can't remember). On holidays and quarterly bonus days they cook out, or do pot luck. Fresh fruit Fridays...etc. I loved it there!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• alaina, he is an E3, but the navy screwed up our LES for a year, so whatever they acidentally gave us for a year, thier taking it out for a year until january. so thats the main reason why we cant make ends meet. id love to work on base, and go to work part time in the day and be home when the hubby is too. ill def look into it asap.
    the reason why we dont qualify for food stamps is cause they count our BAH, even though we dont touch that money AT ALL, they still count it. which sucks. and i do get WIC, only juice and formula for my son is all we qualify for.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for the advice. i feel so much better with different options
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2009