Dog suggestions?

I am moving onto a military base and they have a stupid restriction on several large breed dogs. Basically not Rottis, Pits, Boxers, Dobermen ect. Of course, they have to single out the breeds I prefer. I have yet to have a problem with any of those breeds. I like large breeds because they tend to be great with kids and considering I have #3 on the way, it is very important. Any suggestions?

Alaina623

Asked by Alaina623 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Pets

• Are Mastifs on that list . I have heard they are good dogs.

Answer by louise2 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• a big dumb yellow lab is always a good choice
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• We have a standard size poodle & a golden retriever. They are both well over 50 pounds & both great with our kids. The poodle has bonded more with one child & can be a bit standoffish to the others. She isn't mean to them, just not as tolerant or cuddly. Our golden retriever, we rescued as a 5 y.o. dog & he is wonderful. He tolerates everything, has never bitten or snapped & loves having the kids climb all over him & play with them.

We had a trial period with a rescued St Bernard. He was a sweet dog but didn't know how big he was & the kids got knocked over a few times. Eventually, it just didn't work for us. They can be great family dogs but I would think starting with a puppy would be easier as it could grow with the kids a bit. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I have a black lab who is completely awesome with my daughter. From the second she came home from the hosptial he has slept in her room...if she started crying in the middle of the night he was at my side nudging me awake.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Labs - brown, black, yellow are fantastic protectors and very very gentle with kids. Since you're moving on base and military police is great plus preggers maybe wait til babe's older so you dont have to deal with diapers and potty training time with a rambunctious puppy. We got our puppy when my kids were three being the youngest - my stress was less cause she was potty trained already. So dealing with training a puppy for outside pooping was easy. Aside from the town I'm in now, the only other place out of all that we lived in that I felt really really safe were military bases when my husband used to be Army. Any chance you're near Fort Polk Louisiana or know anyone who is?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• We are going to wait a bit bit I want to start looking at dogs. My 3 year old loves dogs and with his learning delay a dog would greatly benefit him. We are in the process of getting everything diagnosed but as of this moment we are suspecting autism spectrum, a mild case but it is still obvious. The dog is a way of him interacting and developing social skills.
    Alaina623

Answer by Alaina623 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Labs and retrievers are good dogs; my hubby's brother has 2 huskies and they love his 3 yr old. We got a lab from the humane society right around the time we found out I was pregnant- not a fun time. We had to potty train her, then wait for her fix-stitches to heal before she could be an outside dog. Most hounds are pretty good with kids, and they are generally trainable. Try the akc website for lots of info about breeds and personalities. www.akc.org
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• BOSTON TERRIERS ARE AWESOME DOGS! THEY LIKE KIDS AND ARE VERY LOYAL.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I have 2 choclate labs and they are wonderful with kids and are extremely smart.
    ayers65

Answer by ayers65 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• We had a Golden Retriever years ago and she was the best dog ever, she turned me into a dog person. She was wonderful with the kids. Now we have an English Bulldog, she is wonderful with the kids, but is a little stubborn at times.

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 8:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2009