So, any advice on getting my kid away from the bottles and on to sippies??? She is stubborn. I've tried every cup out there!!

totscottmojo

Asked by totscottmojo at 12:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The only sippy my dd would drink out of at first were the take and go cups that come in a set of 5. I had tried everything. I think these were easier because there wasn't a valve to prevent spills.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Forget the sippy cup for now & got straight to a regular cup. Get something no breakable & put some towels down. Start with just a small amount of liquid to practice with. You can also give her a small cup of cold, fresh water while she is in the bath--great place to practice. After she learns to take her liquids from a regular cup, she may be more receptive to a sippy (if you need it for car rides or trips in the stroller). Right now, the sippy is probably too similar to her bottle so she wants the bottle, not the substitute. Remember, generations of children didn't have sippy cups & we all learned to use a regular cup. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Well as far as the bottle just take it away. My 17mos old was like this also so I just took the bottle away and gave her a sports bottle. AT that time I was trying so many sippy cups! We did the sports bottle till she adapted to the sippy and she did. Others with this issues also said the straw cups worked well. Deja didn't know how to do the straw though so did not work for us! LOL BUT the sports bottle worked great just have to watch them because Deja would drink good then when she was done would dump it all out! But by 14mos I had her using the sippy cups for in the car which is why I like them oh so much!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I think at some point you just have to get rid of the bottles all together and just offer the sippy cups and thats it. No bottles and they have to take a sippy or they don't get a drink. Trust me, they know how to use them, they just want the "ba-ba" back, cause it's easier and it's what they know.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Maybe she isn't ready, she's 14 months? Does she take a paci? Ours didn't take a paci and since the bottle is comforting to him, we are letting him wean himself. Kinda like when babies are breast-fed. I've learned that I don't have to do everything like "the book". He's a great deal older than yours. Sorry, can't help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My daughter will have nothing to do with sippy cups, but she loves the straw cups. Try one of those.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• either straw cup or offer a regular cup. She may be ready. just start with water to see how well she drinks before using staning drinks :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• just take them away ! I did it with my son at 18 months and he cried for a little while and refused to drink anything for about a day and everythime he said baabaa I ignored it and handed him a sippy. now every once in a while he asks for a baba maybe once a months and its been over 6 months since I took it away !
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Thanks Moms! She uses sippys during the day just fine...she just has a weird attachment to them at nap time and bed time because she tends to pacify herself with the nipple....she sleeps great and I don't wanna screw that up by taking away her bottle during sleep time...but, it will have to be done eventually. She is not even that concerned with what is in the bottle, just as long as it's her gerber. LOL :)
    totscottmojo

Answer by totscottmojo at 11:57 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I know how you feel. I'm going through the same thing with my daughter and she's 2 going on three. I've tried everything. She'll drink juice from the cup but when it comes to her milk she has to have it in the bottle. I tried the hold taking the bottle away and only offering the cup and that didn't work. I did it for a week straight and ended up taking her to the doctors because she got sick from not eating and drink. At this time I really don't know what to do. I hope what ever you do works for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2009