What Can You Get A Brain Damaged Child For His Birthday?

Kay, anyone who knows me, knows that I have a son who suffers from severe brain damage. He can do absolutely nothing. He can't play with toys. He has cortical blindness. He can't walk, talk, laugh or respond. He will never go to school. His 5th birthday is coming in September & we ARE going to have a party for him. (it's a miracle that he's lived this long) People have been asking what to get for him. He has all kinds of special equipment for his therapy & when he was selected as a "Wish Kid" last year through the Make*A*Wish foundation, we selected the shopping spree for him because a trip, pool or jacuzzi is completely out of the question. We got him tons of therapy tools & clothes to last the next two years. So, any suggestions as to what we can get him for his birthday?

TJSMOM91804

Asked by TJSMOM91804 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• does he enjoy music? perhaps some fun cds and a cd player that lights up to the music would be fun
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 12:28 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• How about a charm bracelet. You can add a charm for each accomplishment or year or whatever suits you. Just something to commemorate your time together. (I mean the bracelet for you...)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• a fan in the room for coolness? an easy chair for you to sit back and raise your feet or rock in and be cushioned in comfort while you rock your son?

maybe think what can you use yourself, your partner for your own comfort while you care for your little one?

a new floor mat for floor therapy?

sometimes when we care physically for our kids somehow at the same time nurturing ourselves eases the care.

Chimes for windows? New curtains to brighten room? Even though Son is not aware the brightness or sound might ease your times.

Additional respite care?
    Happy Birthday to Your Son!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• teddy bear? can he feel different textures?
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Baby board books with different textures.

Cds - music, thunderstorms, rainforest, whales, stories, etc.

If he's not completely blind - maybe a colorful dancing nightlite? (ya know, the kid that rotate)

Can he taste? Maybe suckers? -- you could just brush them against his tongue.

Scented candles or incense -- scent is supposed to be our strongest sense -- and if his others are so diminished, he may really be able to enjoy those.

Massage lotions?

Donations in his name?

Portrait coupons?

That's really about all I can think of. G'luck -- and Happy Early Birthday!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I have to say after going to your profile...you are a hero to me. :) Have a wonderful day no matter what you choose for your son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• God bless you. i like the music idea.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I stopped by your profile and am amazed by how much you do. You are a hero to me!!! What about new bedding or a soft blanket for his wheelchair? Soothing CD's and a CD player. If he can feel different textures, get books that he can feel on his cheeks, tummy, hands. What about a "baby" massage? I hope he has a wonderful birthday, he is a very special angel.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Okay, the diff textures and musics are a great idea. If he's already got tons of stuff and really doesn't need anything else (true for many children, not just special needs) then how about gift cards, respite time for mom/dad (b/c yup that's a gift for him too), IOU to come talk to him, read him a story or do a massage (yes I read your profile but I work with students like this -- mind you 16-22 and you'd be amazed at what sticks over time) or how about special outings (if his health will tolerate it) one of my most wow moments was when I took my students to the zoo my first year with them, I saw children I'd NEVER seen focus etc. stop, put their hands of their ears, turn their head and LISTEN (and FOCUS) on waterfalls, the birds etc. Another student (blind, feeding pump, and quadriplegic) used to LOVE just going outside and feeling the sun and listening to nature.
    Its amazing what our children can feel and sense.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• oh also scents (if not allergic) and donations in his name to favorite charities like the make a wish foundation are a super special present.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2009