How can I slice an onion without hurting my eyes?

I love to cook with onion but I can't slice an onion without my eyes burning and hurting really bad. I don't have a food processor, don't really want the mess but I don't know how to do it fast enough to not get that burn in my eyes!! Any ideas?

mars33me

Asked by mars33me at 12:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• according to my mom put a little bowl of water and salt next to the onion when ur cutting it
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 12:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Freeze it then cut it. It works for me.
    ayers65

Answer by ayers65 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Chew gum when you're cutting. It works. I have no idea why lol.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:27 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• A really sharp knife. If the burning gets too bad rinse your hands under cold water.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 12:27 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• a sharp knife is your best defense. if you have an open fire cook top in the kitchen, turn up the flames, the convection will draw the onion crap into it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:31 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• When I worked at Subway the manager told me to open the freezer and look in it if my eyes started burning too bad. It worked. You have to kinda put your head in there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• try wearing a painters mask
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• The only thing I have found to work is to cut the onions on top of the stove and turn the vent over the stove on high. It sucks the gases straight up, and never burns my eyes. Also, to get the onion stench off your hands, rub lemon juice on your hands and wash in COLD water. Warm water makes the onion smell sink in.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Put the onion in the fridge an hour before you cook. When they're cold they don't give off "fumes" and burn your eyes. I always try to remember to throw onions in the fridge a while before dinner.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My mother always told me to put some matches in your mouth with the red part sticking out (un-lite, of course) and the tip would soak up the fuems from the onion. Never tried it though.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2009