Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

peanut butter

my 16 month old hasnt tried peanut butter yet and I was thinking about serving him a small pb&j sandwich for lunch. even though I never had a bad allergic reacton, I reacted positive to the nut allergy test when I was a child. so I'm sure my son has a high risk. but would a lil sandwich be ok? or should I wait till he's older?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Answers (6)
  • You can generally start trying foods that have "high" allergy potential when they're a year and older.
    I'm deathly allergic to peanuts, however, my DH is not.
    My DS tried a peanut butter sandwich - and after close monitoring, he's perfectly fine.

    A little sandwich should be fine - and just have everything on standby, just in case.

    Good luck. :]
    K_Sawyer

    Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • Your peanut allergy is not hereditary, so my sons pediatrician says. I am allergic to all nuts except peanuts and almonds, my son is allergic to peanuts. I would probably wait until he's two. I tred it at 12 months and he broke out in hives. Aske your ped for advice.
    Fairy_Wings

    Answer by Fairy_Wings at 1:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • It doesnt matter what age you serve nuts. If they are allergic they will have a reaction. You dont develop an alergy, you are born with it. Serve it and you will know.
    forevermom75

    Answer by forevermom75 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • Just because you had a positive nut allergy test when you were younger doesn't mean your son is at any higher or lesser risk of having an allergy. I'm allergic to peanuts and my son can eat them no problem he just can't eat them from me because I can't serve it to him otherwise I have a reaction to it. btw, forevermom , you can and more often than not do develop allergies. Allergies are alot more severe the younger (or older) a person is. So yes, it does matter at what age you serve the food that causes allergies. Nut allergies are very severe and can cause the throat to swell within a matter of seconds of consuming the food if a person is severly allergic to the food if the child isn't old enough to tell you their throat is scratchy or something else is wrong you run the risk of not knowing until it's too late.
    KalebsMommee

    Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • Also, allergies CAN be hereditary but not always. Another thing is, chances are your son has already came into contact with food either containing peanuts or that has been prepared with and/or near peanuts which would cause a reaction if he was going to have one bad enough to worry over. I have to be extremely careful about what I consume because alot of products even though they don't contain the actual peanuts they still contain just enough "dusting" to cause a reaction for me.

    KalebsMommee

    Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • I would wait until hes two ! just to be safe ! i believe theres less of a chance of a severe reaction if your childs a little older !
    ryansmommy07

    Answer by ryansmommy07 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN