We're getting a dog and need some advice

What kind of things do I need to start the dog out in it's new home? How can I acclamate the kids (6 and 3) and the 2 cats easily?

Asked by CelticMomma79 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Pets

• You'll need a food/water dish, food, collar, leash, hairbrush & some treats. You'll eventually need dog shampoo, a veterinarian, vitamins, etc. I would also recommend a kennel for the dog, or a place you can put him when you leave the house so that he's not messing anything up. My dog literally ate the arm off my couch the first time we left him alone in the house. Eventually, the dog won't need to go in the kennel, but it's a good idea to keep him (and your stuff) safe. Tell your kids to give the dog some space to check everything out & get used to all the new sounds & smells. Make sure they behave very gently around the dog for the first several days... they can play and get crazy with him later. ALSO, you should start training the dog to sit, lay down & stay right away. Hope that helps. Good luck with your new doggy!

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• After all the foster dogs I've had it takes months to get used to a new pet as well as a new home. All attacks that dog may make on the cats or the cats on the dog need to be excused b/c they didn't grow up together. Patience! that's the most important thing! but I believe bonding is done by walking your dog everyday. Ceaser Milan's tv show or dvd's. my cat was full grown when I got him. He use to hit my dogs daily, now he never does. rescue dogs may need lots of love and care, forgiveness. it really depends on what kind,age and situation it comes from. dog crate (always, many reasons for one) flea drops, name and address, phone # on collar for sure.

Answer by Momchipomkids at 1:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• You will the basic dishes, bed, a collar with Id tag I also suggest a crate for when you are not home. The cats will adjust in time that takes awhile.  I would take the kids and the dog for a long walk before the dog even has a chance to come into the house. That way you can introduce the dog to the kids why getting rid of some engery. good luck  

Answer by T.W. at 2:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I would make sure you have plenty of chew toys, as a puppy will chew on anything when they are teething and are bored. Alot of treats for training. I've trained many dogs and once they get to the point of sitting, healing to your left side, laying down, and most inportent knowing the word Come,then you can cut down on the cost of the treats. Bringing a pup into a family with children and other animals you need to be very observant on how your children, and your cats interact. Oh you need to start your dog to know the word NO, and OFF A.S.P.

Have fun with your new addition.

Answer by HELP991 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• How old? What breed? Is this your first dog too?

Answer by ilovemybananer at 11:48 AM on Jun. 26, 2008