Anyone else is more debt than they will admit?

My DH & I are in a horrible financial condition & virtually nobody knows. He has major debt, partially from a divorce but also from some very bad decisions he made. He is considering bankruptcy. I have school loans & a personal loan. We are just a mess. We have to move b/c our lease is up & our landlord wants to sell the house, not rent it again. I have no idea how we are going to swing the deposits or even if we can find a place to rent with our credit histories. DH & I both work but we can barely swing the rent & I have been know to search my house for change so I can buy groceries.

So, my question is this? Is anyone else drowning? If so, does your family know? How did you tell them? Is it better to keep it a secret & just struggle along? Did you end up asking anyone for help? If so, who & how did it work out for you?

Sorry to post anon--I rarely do, but I am too embarrassed, even on here. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• I'm a the only bread winner in my home, its my two children, my husband and myself, right now I have about 2,000 in debts its hard we are living with my parents, looking for a new place, and our car just broke down...if its not one thing its another
    mzprincessreina

Answer by mzprincessreina at 11:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Our debt wasn't so bad... we just had our mortgage until we had to move and I had an ectopic pregnancy. Now we have TONS of medical debt and one of our credit cards is maxed out. We also have to pay back about $3200 in grant money because we moved before we lived at our house for 5 years. It all adds up (without the morgage) to like 8,000 smackers and with the morgage it's over 100,000.

LAME.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You need to downsize, maybe an efficiency apartment, just enough for you both and kids. Nothing big and expensive. Then start with priorties, if you know a family member you can trust and thats good with finances ask them to help you get on a good budget. You could try to ask your parents if you can move in just until you get back on track. Write something and sign it so they know it won't be longterm. Also make sure you're both working, you can apply for assistance from your state as well. It will depend on your income and assets. Good luck, I hope this helped a little.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You may ask a realtor is they have a house that is on the market for sale that you can rent untill it sales. Most will be happy to be getting something on the morgage untill it sales. You just have people come by on occations looking at it though. You need a plan. you need to figure out what you've got coming in and whats go;ing out. Get a budget adn stick to it! Have a yard sale adn pay down those cards. and dont buy stuff you dont need! Look around your house. Do you see trinkets and knick-nacks that you've bought that just sit there? Know what i mean? You can do it!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I am willing to admit it! It's shameful but there's nothing I can do about it right this moment so I wont let it destroy my attitude. My present medical debt is in the 200,000 range. No mortgage, 1 vehicle, 1 credit card (only owe like $200 on it though! it's our emergency and rental car/hotel card)

w/ our present income we cant really even consolidate..... so they just stack, and stack. and stack..... and next month I start an intensive pain rehab program. I was quoted $49,000 plus medications for the 16 week program and we're unsure as of yet how much insurance will and wont cover. And this fall my tonsils are coming out and I have a bunch of mri's coming up soooo paying on it balances is pretty stupid because for every $20 I pay $200 more adds up
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:38 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• A lot of people are in your same situation. Times are tough right now. Have you ever thought about working from home to try to pay it off? I recently started working from home to make some extra money after my DH was laid off. I work with a great of Moms. We help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID… NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS.

I'd love to give you more information about our team and introduce you to the team if you're interested. Best Wishes!

Erika
    Visit me at:
    www.4MyFamilyandMe.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 7:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I CAN"T STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!!!!

WWW.DAVERAMSEY.COM

NOW RUN....GET YOUR LIFE BACK!

Cause when you don't have payments you have MONEY!!!!!!!
    workin4mhomemom

Answer by workin4mhomemom at 11:30 PM on Aug. 22, 2009