Garbage meal VS. sending to bed hungry?

OK we're gonna use age 5-ish as a baseline age. Child is strong, healthy, with no medical issues known. You're offered a choice of sending them to bed hungry (they ate a normal lunch and possibly a late afternoon or after (pre)school snack) OR feeding them a totally nutritionally deficient meal with absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Even Spaghetti O's have vegetables and frosted flakes has milk with it... we're talking about a totally JUNK garbage food dinner. Pop, marshmallows, cheetos (No whole grain) velveeta cubes, whatever.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 1:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Go to bed hungry. Eating sugar before bed will give them nightmares and they won't sleep very well. In addition to not being good for them. So I'd probably ... No, I hate saying I'd make them go to bed hungry. So I don't know. Thankfully this is a hypothetical.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• ideally I'd love a registered dietician momma to run across this and comment!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• thats a hard ? but since i dont like kids to go hungry i would prob giove into the junk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• can you pick neither?
    MoMmY2APrince85

Answer by MoMmY2APrince85 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Why can't you just give them a sandwich? Even peanut butter and jelly on crackers would be better. I would like to understand where this question is coming from...what is your thinking behind it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I'd never let a child go to bed hungry. Although I don't like the junk choices I'm guessing if it's in the kitchen it's not the first time they had a meal like that so I'd go for the junk but the next day I'd be buying them other food and throwing the junk out.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Are there no other groceries in the house? My daughter is only 1, but we don't keep junkfood in the house. The closest thing we have to junk food right now is chocolate peanut butter pops cereal, sugar free ice cream and granola bars. I got weak the other day at the store and bought the Pops and the ice cream! YUM!! My mother never kept junk food in the house either.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Cant you just give some fruit and maybe a sandwich? Neither option is a good one.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• If I had offered my child her dinner and she refused to eat it (several times, because I will put it in the fridge and get it back out and offer it again) and she refused to eat a healthy alternative, she would go to bed hungry. My daughter is only three, but I do expect her to eat what is given to her. I give her foods that I know she likes; if she says she doesn't like a food, I will offer a PB&J sandwich or leftovers that she likes. If she refuses both and asks again an hour or two later, I will offer the sandwich again, or pull out her dinner and warm it up. I do not let my child have a snack in the evening if she doesn't eat her dinner, and I certainly let her eat absolute junk just so that she had something in her tummy.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• This wouldn't happen to me. I spend my money on good food. We don't have total crap in the house. What's the point to this question?

If these are my choices, though, I actually vote for go to bed hungry. Drinking soda will probably make them more hungry. Eating empty calories is also going to hype them up, and then they'll be hungry again before they're asleep. I would hate it, but I think it's going to make my child feel the best overall. Feeding them that stuff is still going to lead to them going to bed hungry, is what I'm trying to say.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2009