What do u do with stained kids clothes? What do u think in public of kids wearing stained or holey things?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 1:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• It bugs me to no end when I see kids in dirty clothes with holes in them (when it's obvious their parents can afford better stuff I mean driving a 2009 Escalade I think you can atleast afford a nice going out outfit for your child you think right?). I never take my son out like, I don't even put clothes with holes in them on him to play in the yard with even though alot of his clothes are hand me downs I will go through and toss the ragged looking stuff in the garbage or cut them up and use them as cleaning rags.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:42 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Personally I use them for rags but if others have to use them then I don't think less of them. Not everyone is blessed to have access to new clothes. As long as the children seem happy I'm ok with what they are wearing.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• It depends how bad they are! My 9 year old ALWAYS has grass stains on the knees of her pants. I try to use Shout before putting it in the wash and sometimes it works. She usually gets holes in the pant knees too. But she is always wearing clean clothes and she's happy! She just plays hard!!! :-) When they get really bad I throw them away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• With my youngest daughter, she got all my oldest daughters hand-me-downs - which was fine because my oldest was never a messy baby-kid. But my youngest DD IS messy - she spills and drops and finds messy stuff to get into - OR MAKES messy stuff to get into. So her stained clothes, she wears around the house and outside to play. I usually reserve her non-stained clothes for going out (and away from the house) because I wouldn't take my kids out looking like a hot mess. Most of the time.
    I try not to judge when I see children in stained clothes - just because I drop food on myself, my DD does too - especially in public. BUT holey? IDK. There is no need to bring your kids out in HOLES if you can help it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Home is fine, public, no. Once clothes have been stained, they are "play" clothes. Ones we paint in, and do crafts. I would never take my kids in public with stained or holy clothes on. They have better clothes in their closet. I dont want to look needy. But if that's all you have, then thats all you have!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• When we're out all day, I'm not changing my daughter's clothes every time she spills a little something on them. She doesn't have holes in her clothes, but I'm sure it looks like some of her clothes are stained. Just yesterday, she had therapy, then we had pizza at the local market and then went to a marine science center. At the market, she dropped pizza on her clothes several times, I just cleaned it off with the napkin and went on with my day. She's three, messes happen. She always starts out in clean, stain free clothes, she just doesn't always end up that way.

I turn clothes with holes into rags, stained clothes are play clothes for the yard. She loves to work in the garden with me, no point in putting her in nice clothes to get all muddy.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• depends on how badly stained. A small hole in a new shirt is not a good reason to toss it out. I guess it depends on the age too. My 2 year old can't keep anythign clean!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I shout everything, before I wash it. I don't put anything in the dryer until the stain comes out. If it's impossible to get out, then I give them to dh and he uses them for stuff. I always bring bibs with me everywhere I go in order to avoid stains if at all possible.

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• my daughter is 3, clothes are gonna get dirty, if its a really bad stain than she won't wear it out, unless out is just up the street to the park. i try to make sure she has at least 2 outfits that she doesn't wear normally unless we are going out, but even those manage to get stains on them. and no i'm not changing her once we are out either if she spills on her shirt she's going to keep wearing it, there'd be no point in changing her just so that others think shes clean, i know its clean aside from that spot thats all that matters to me. my son on the other hand is 3 months, he doesn't spit up much at all, so if his clothes get dirty its b/c he leaked through a diaper so i will change him.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:28 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I treat the stains. Very few of my kids clothes are permanently stained because I treat them right away or as soon as we get home. We don't go out in public in stained or holey clothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2009