THE ENEMY?

WHY IS IT THAT PEOPLE WHO FOLLOW THE BIBLE'S EVERY WORD SOMETIMES REFER TO THOSE WHO DON'T AS THE ENEMY? AREN'T WE ALL GODS CHILDRENS?

Asked by older at 1:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Actually, I don't know about the others, but who I am referring to as the enemy is Satan. He is the enemy of God,and he is my enemy. He's also not worthy of me referring to him by name everytime, so I just refer to HIM as the enemy. NEVER a person! ONLY and ONLY the devil! Sorry if I ever sounded like I was calling another person the enemy. The only enemy I ever have is him,and as I said, I really don't even like to refer to him by name.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 6:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I think so. I think no matter what nationality, race, color, sexual preference, the list goes on... No matter what we all belong to a higher power. I think the only way we can show God any respect is by loving one another and taking care of the Earth we live on. Saying that..I think people who are diff. feel the need to attack other's out of fear.
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 1:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I never ever have even thought that, and I have never heard any of my friends do that either!!!!

In Christianity, we refer to the enemy as a literal Satan and literal demons. I don't think the actual Satan is at work in my life, because he is only in one place at a time, but I do believe that demons are at work in our lives, trying to keep us from the Lord. (He comes to steal, kill, and destroy Jn10:10). Christiand refer to them in general as "the enemy."

That is who our enemy is, not non-believers!!!

I am sorry you have heard that some people call non-Christians the enemy.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Do you think maybe it gets misunderstood. Sometimes Christians talk "Christianese" and people might misunderstand what they mean. I know I can do that sometimes. I have to remember to explain things using normal words, LOL. Here is a funny video about Christianese! enjoy : )

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• This one is also pretty funny ; )

Christianese

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• It's so sad when people call nonbelievers the "enemy." Have you ever seen Jesus Camp? HOLY CRAP. They're indoctrinating kids to start a WAR against nonbelievers and the US government. And seriously, how is a jihad any different? Mighty hypocritical indeed. I think it's the extreme "war" obsessed religious folks that cause people to do crazy suicide bombings and murders. And I don't care if you say "Well, it's a hypothetical 'war'." CHILDREN do not know the difference, when you say war, they think guns ablazing and people dying.

So Yahweh? No way!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• well put caitx!
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 2:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I believe it has to do with when the religion was emerging. Christianity & Islam developed in a time & place when their religious differences made them a threat, in the case of Christianity it was a threat to the Roman Empire. When a group is fighting for survival - in some cases as individuals as well as as a group - then those who aren't with you are generally going to be seen as against you. As a result their writings reflect a hostility towards "others". A religion that has successfully evolved to stay in step with our society will have stopped labeling all others as the enemy, though probably applied the label elsewhere. It is easier to cement group identity when there is someone or something to fight against as a group.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Violent language in the Christianity and Islam has always bothered me. I think nysa00 makes a very good point though. Other literature written during the same time period is also very violent.

I also agree that it is easier to create a feeling of togetherness within a group when there is an "other." Which is why the retoric has lasted.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• CINNAMOM, I SAW THE VIDEOS IS ALMOST LIKE A NEW LANGUAGE, THANKS FOR THE LINK!

Answer by older at 3:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2009