if ur child is 4 almost 5....

And they do something wrong and they know they were wrong and u find out about it and u ask them and they say yes mommy i did it. would u still tell them they were wrong they knew better and punish them? or would u tell them fine dont do it again?
my sisters son will do something tell his mom and she doesnt do anything but tell him not to do it again when hes over at my house or my OTher sisters he thinks thats goin to work with us. I think he has it stuck in his head he can do w.e he wants and if he tells on himself then he gets away with it!!! I tried to tell her my ex...hmm i want to draw on the wall i know its wrong but if i tell mom then i wont get in trouble so imma go ahead and draw all over the house..

i dont know if u all understand that but what are ur views?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that that if a kid does something and you ask them if they did it, and they tell the truth they should be put on time out, but not spanked because they were truthful. But if he is telling on himself before anyone sees what he did...then he is just useing it as a way to not get in trouble. Does he get in trouble when he does it again? My kids sometimes get worned, but after that they know that if they do it again that thier going to get spanked, it doesn't matter if it's been weeks since I told them not to do it again.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 2:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I'd punish them more if they lied about it of course but i'd still make a point to let them know it's wrong. My son is the type of kid, he will do something but won't lie about it he will tell you straight up he did it (Sometimes even if he didn't do it) it's kinda hard to fully punish them when they're being honest about it. The best thing you can do is talk with them and explain to them not to do it again or there will be severe consequences if they do it again.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Just reread your post, oops I misunderstood what you were talking about (THought you were saying if the kid was asked if they did it they'd say yes, not would do something and then go tell on themselves to say themselves from gettin ginto trouble) my son doesn't do what you described he won't do something and then tell on himself but if he does something and is asked about it he won't lie so I go abit easier on him. If he did as you said i'd probably tear his butt up.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• OP..he does the samething over and over and over again! If they do put him in time out and he comes out they dont care they ignore it. he is a horrible child to have around i love him to death i just cant handle him. my 2 yr old listens more then he does!! their house is a MESS and his toys are all over upstairs, in his room, in the living room hell in the bathroom too and they NEVER make him clean up . Im 21 and i can handle having 4 kids under 5 shes 25 n cant manage one kid that is almost 5 and i dont know what the hell to tell her bc she always takes offence when i try to help
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• We have a rule that if you do it, you get punishment. Even if you tell us first. If I found out, or the child lied, there's still punishment, but there's additional punishment for lying. I have had a teenager, so this worked for her. With a 5 year old, he seems smart enough to realize he can act a fool and tell on himself to avoid punishment. He isn't stupid.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• It doesnt matter if you own up to it or not. While that is admirable, it doesnt relieve you of your punishment. Punishment is for the misbehavior. If they lie about it, then they get double punished. Only in SOME instances would I let the punishment go but its very very rare.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2009