US clinic offers British couples the chance to choose the sex of their child.....

A new clinic in Manhattan is appealing to British couples who want to pick the sex of their next child — a process that is banned in the United Kingdom.

Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD), which can reveal the sex of an embryo, is prohibited in Britain except when it is used to screen for genetic diseases.

The United States relaxed its regulations on sex selection in 2001 and American medical centres report interest from British patients who find out about their “family balancing” services through online advertisements.

OH MY GOD NO! WTH? I don't agree with this at ALL! So now we are creating embryos that we will just toss if they are the wrong sex? And is MY family "unbalanced" Because I have 2 dd and 1 ds? I would have loved another dd just as much! I am little afraid of what might end up happening with this much messing with nature! I don't see this as a christian vs. others...this is crazy! You?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I am totally against gender selection except to prevent gender specific genetic diseases. I mean look at China with it's one child laws and how many baby girls are either abandoned at birth or aborted once the sex is known. When we mess with nature that's when we end up with an imbalance. I have 3 boys, I don't consider my family unbalanced, and while I would have loved to have had a girl, there is no way I'd trade one of my boys for anything.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• this is totally wrong and immoral. you get what you get. i wanted a girl with this pregnancy i have three boys and one girl. i really really wanted another girl well guess what its a boy. and yes at first i was disappointed but now i am extremly happy that it is another boy. i love my boys just like i love my daughter and god gave me what he knows i need and want even if i dont see it that way!! let life be life and not try to control every aspect of it. it takes the fun right out of life, and takes the surprises out also!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I think it is absolutely wrong to create dozens of embryos just to toss, But I am gonna look for it but I read that a doctor that did this kind of procedure would implant the unused embryos in surrogates for women with out the true mother knowing. pretty messed up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I think we should leave "playing God" to God!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2009