Is this snobby?

I was talking to my friend about what I wanted to major in in college - I said I knew I'd have to work hard and that it wouldn't be easy. He asked me what it was. I told him and he said "yes, you would have to work hard. It'd probably be hard to find a job in that field." And I said "well, thankfully our lifestyle makes it possible for me not to necessarily have a job so I'm not worried about it." And then they didn't say anything else to me. I didn't mean it in a hateful way - I KNOW I'm going to have to work hard at whatever I do but since I don't necessarily need to have a job, why should I go to college for something I HATE doing? It's not like I'm going for modeling or acting - who fields that WOULD be hard. It's JOURNALISM and I'm sure I could find a job. I know I'd have to start at the bottom. So my question is: is my reaction to what my friend said snobby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't understand why people say it'd be hard to find a job in that field. Why? Because there won't be newspapers and magazines or books anymore? People are still going to read. There's still the internet. People will need writers for that won't they? I'm studying to be a journalist too and I can't tell ya the load of crap I get from people telling me it's a dying profession. It's not dying! As long as people still want to read they're always going to need someone to write!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• a little bit its generally tacky to make comments like that but go for journalism anyway if you really dont need teh money why not do something you love
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 2:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• No. I dont think so. Some people just take things the wrong way... Which can be super annoying
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• i dont think so some ppl have it like that others dont and honestly it sounds like he was a LIL jealous over that comment
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Yes, the way you put it. I would have said it differently. Maybe, I am lucky enough that I am able to spend time searching for the perfect job as my income is not needed right away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• No thats not snobby. It depends on who youre talking to also though.
    tam84

Answer by tam84 at 2:22 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I personally didnt see anything wrong with it. You stated a fact. Plain and simple.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 2:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I do not think that was snobby at all.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 2:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• OP here - thanks ladies. After I said it, I thought it sounded kind of bitchy but I didn't mean it that way. I am grateful that I don't have to do something I hate and that I can pursue my dreams.

And Imogine - I haven't come across that attitude (Except this instance) but you're so right. People who write articles on the internet, magazines, ect. Even if PAPER (books, magazines, newspapers) is a dying doesn't mean JOURNALISM is. :-D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2009