Health Care reform - why not start with making services/meds cost less?

I think MANY of us can agree that Healthcare needs reform. Looking at Universal healthcare (which I oppose) or private healthcare, why does everything cost so much? Meaning drugs, services, etc.... I understand that people need to make a living - Drs., nurses, staff, etc. and the cost of running a business and the overhead necessary for it to operate. But I was just reading this article:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/a-nurses-view-of-health-reform/?emc=eta1

and it really led me to this question. In this case, a cancer patient undergoes months of chemotheraphy while in the hopsital. With lousy insurance his medical bills were very pricey. I was just in the hospital for a procedure and was shocked to see the actual costs for 'simple' tests. $2500 for anesthesia? $50 for 1 simple x-ray? seriously? why?

Maybe our gov. should put more focus into grossly inflated costs by drug companies, Drs., & hospitals.

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 2:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree things should cost less. I don't see how hospitals and Doctors can justify charging so much. They will blame it on the high cost of mal-practice insurance, I am sure. Seriously though I agree that people are sue crazy now a days, but maybe if the Doctor would spend more than 2 minutes with a patient, then things wouldn't get missed so much and people wouldn't try to sue/ sue, sue. This whole country is just ridiculous and it is very sad.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• High prices due to malpractice
    Uninsured who don't pay for their services gets passed on to YOU.
    GREED by insurance and pharmaceutical companies... profit to shareholders and CEOs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• medications have to be expensive so they have plenty of money for campaign contributions

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Well sadly enough most providers have to pay so much in malpractice ins that they have to pass it onto the consumer (patient). That includes hospitals and docs. They have to cover their asses so much that their insurance for malpractice is unreal. The other problem is that health insurance companies basically force providers to enter into contracts with them and much of the charges are written off. In order to get back anything close to what they should actually get, the provider has to charge a lot more. Providers have learned how to play that game over the past decade. If you look at an EOB from an insurance company the amount actually paid vs what was charged is actually very low. Also, when large numbers of uninsured people skip out in their bill they cost gets passed onto the consumer. The current system is such a tangled web that it's hard to pinpoint one thing that would "fix" it all.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• When I was in the hospital 2 years ago they tried to bill me for a circumcision! Now last time I looked, nobody did a circumcision on this 51 (at the time) year old woman! They spread the unpaid bills out to the insurance companies when they think they can get away with it. I called my insurance company and told them and they thanked me and assured me that they weren't going to pay it, and I wouldn't be billed for it either.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I think it's time to take a long hard look at the "for profit" health care system. I think that God is disgusted with the idea of people making money off the suffering of others.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Thank you Notpanicking for picking up on my drift...I didn't want to start with explanation because I wanted people to see it for themselves first.

I thought this was interesting in the link you added;
    "Sen. Barack Obama is still number one. He has taken in $636,000 from the "pharmaceuticals/health products" sector." I wonder how that will change or if there is any motivating factor/kickback for his UHC plan.

As for the malpractice excuse, I really do not think this has much to do with it. I know MANY doctors and they no longer carry malpractice insurance. This is why we have to sign so many waivers and consent forms when we see or a treated by a doctor.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 4:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• that is the problem with many OB/gyns. lots of them are no longer delivering babies, because they do not want to carry the insurance. Instead, they are leaving that job up to resident doctors in the hospitals. My OB is one of a few who delivers and she has TONS of waivers, disclosures, consents to sign.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• THANK YOU POSTER! The system is fine. It is wonderful in fact. Get the run-away cost reigned back in, and we will be just fine. I appreciate the health care professionals. I want them to make a good living. I don't want a minimum wage person operating on me. I appreciate the drug companies. It is their research that brings us the medicines to cure whatever is making us sick. Just find a way to make it less expensive.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2009