Would it be mean to delete a Facebook friend whose child passed away?

I feel awful even writing this. But every time I see her and her updates about missing her baby I feel overwhelmingly depressed. Our babies were the same age and it makes me so anxious to think that someone could lose a baby. I do not know her personally, I think she friended me because I know one of her friends. I feel so selfish and mean...would it be wrong to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• It's your Facebook page. Do what you think is best. She's not going to realize what you did. I'm sure she's too distraught to care.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:35 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• personally I would do whatever I could to help taht person adn ask myself what I would want her to do if my baby had passed away I personally am not one to shut doors on people in need because I know how much it hurts bu ultimately its up to you to decide what to do as previously mentioned she probably wont even notice
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 2:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• If you don't know her I don't think she'll even notice and surely not bold enough to ask why you deleted her.
    I understand what you're saying. I have a friend who's lost a baby to SIDS and when she posts things about her baby on her mood thing, I feel a sudden surge of grief and I feel sad for her because I know what she's going thru. If your baby is alive tho, then it should remind you to love your baby as much as possible, to never take for granted that tomorrow is another day etc. When I read my friends posts, I typically get tears in my eyes, tell her that I'm here if she needs a shoulder and then I hug my kids, tell them how lucky I am to have them in my life and how much I love them.
    But if you can't handle it, then by all means... delete her from your friends list and if she asks why, tell her the truth... that you hate reading it because it makes you face the reality that one day you might face the hell she is.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 2:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You can hide her post so you don't have to see them unless you went looking for them. That might be a happy medium for you.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You're really mean. What kind of friend are you? YOU get depressed about her updates? Well how do you think SHE feels, dealing with the death of her child? Get over yourself and your feelings and worry about your friend's feelings during this difficult time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You can hide her post so you don't have to see them unless you went looking for them.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Bmanda352

Answer by Bmanda352 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I don't necessarily think that it's "wrong" but I do however think that she probably needs a good friend right now. And if you think it's depressing looking at her updates, then I would diffidently try putting yourself in her shoes. How would you feel if you lost your baby, and while your going through the worst experience in your life and you really needed friends that they just deleted you. Whether you really know them or not it's nice to have extra support when your going through something as awful as that. And another thing that I was thinking about is that you said it makes you depressed to see the baby's updates and stuff but don't you think maybe it makes her depressed seeing pictures and postings of your baby beings your baby is still here and hers isn't? But she still does it because she needs a friend. Again I don't mean to come off strong I just think that maybe you should really think about it before you do it.
    Haynes_mommy

Answer by Haynes_mommy at 3:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I think that if you aren't her friend then you should delete her, but if you are only deleting her because it bothers you her talking about her dead child that it kind of rude. Maybe you should comfort her. And if you really aren't friends she probably will never know.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I understand what you are saying. I had a friend whose Husband killed their child. I never thought I would be comfortable around her again, but I am and she even talks about her deceased son. Being that you don't even know her though, no I don't think it would be rude. I don't understand why everybody on here feels that YOU need to be her savior. I am sure she has many friends and family who she leans on and talks to. Don't worry about it, delete her, she probably would never know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Aug. 22, 2009