Going Green or Going Crazy?

Some people think my efforts to be Eco-friendly are dumb. What are your thoughts? Should we be more Eco-friendly or do we have lil effect on the Earth?

Darlinree

Asked by Darlinree at 2:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If they really wanted to be green, they'd give up their cars and electricity and live like the Amish. They would only buy clothes and furniture second hand, and they would grow/raise their own food.

and some people do.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Some "green" things seem really counterproductive to me - like people buying new eco-cars that damage the environment more to make them than it does to drive their old clunker.

Other things make a lot of sense - like using a recycling bin.

My opinion would depend on the details of what you're doing...though at the end of the day, I support individuals making their own choices, I just get a little huffy over the government trying to make eco-choices for us.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Really? Anon why don't you think the government should be involved? And I agree about the cash for clunkers...it does seem counterproductive.

Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 2:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I just think the government has this nasty habit of hurting more than helping.

Like the cash for clunkers, and the corn to fuel which left people in 3rd world countries starving because they couldn't afford the hiked up grain prices.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• People don't really want to be green, they want to have convenient lives and then make token gestures when it is also convenient. If they really wanted to be green, they'd give up their cars and electricity and live like the Amish. They would only buy clothes and furniture second hand, and they would grow/raise their own food. Instead, they invent "green" things that always do just as much harm to one aspect of the environment as they help in another, but have a prominently displayed eco-friendly symbol so they can show all their friends and neighbors how environmentally conscious they are as they head off for the Starbucks drive-thru.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• The solution.   We already know how to greatly reduce greenhouse gasses while ending our dependence on oil.  We have the solution to stop using nasty synthetic petrochemicals, we didn't need in the first place.  Going green is as simple as planting a weed.

momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 3:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Every little bit helps that much more. There are things we can all do when we think about it. Even picking up one piece of litter and putting it in the trash instead of letting it blow around loose is a help. It may not seem like much, but you'd probably remember to use the trash can the next time you had some litter in your hand. And if everybody did that there would be NO litter around at all.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:28 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I get the same reaction, but I don't care. I use green cleaning products in my home for my family's safety.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Wow, Not Panic...that's kinda a harsh look at humanity. I don't agree with you dear.
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 5:09 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Thankyou anon 4:03
    Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 5:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2009